The Councils try to meet the highest standards when collecting and using personal information in accordance with data protection law.
Adur District Council and Worthing Borough Council (the Councils) are the registered Data Controllers.
This Privacy Notice tells you what to expect when Adur District Council and Worthing Borough Council collects personal information. It applies to information we collect about:
When someone visits www.adur-worthing.gov.uk we use third party services, Google Analytics and Siteimprove, to collect standard internet log information and details of visitor behaviour patterns. We do this to find out things such as the number of visitors to the various parts of the site. This information is only processed in a way which does not identify anyone. We do not make, and do not allow Google to make, any attempt to find out the identities of those visiting our website. If we do want to collect personally identifiable information through our website, we will be up front about this. We will make it clear when we collect personal information and will explain what we intend to do with it.
Our website search is powered by Cludo. Search queries and results are logged anonymously to help us improve our website and search functionality. No user-specific data is collected by either the Councils or any third party.
We take great care to ensure the security of this website and your personal information. We have put in place appropriate technical and organisational measures to ensure the safety and security of the information we collect online. Any third party processing such information on the Councils' behalf is contractually obliged to put in place similar measures.
Following a link to another website
If you go to another website from this one, read the Privacy Notice on that website to find out what it does with your information.
Following a link to www.adur-worthing.gov.uk from another website
If you come to www.adur-worthing.gov.uk from another website, we may receive information from the other website. We don't use this data. You should read the Privacy Notice of the website you came from to find out more about this.
The Councils use a range of social media services to publicise Council news, stories, offers and events and to receive comments and feedback from residents including through direct messages, which are private, and through posts which are public to other social media users.
The information you provide via social media is subject to the social media service providers' privacy notices and policies. Any information you post on the Councils' social media platforms is also subject to the Councils' social media policy.
When you call our Contact Centre we may record your call to help us monitor performance and improve customer interactions with the Councils, and to assist us with training customer service advisers. Call recording can include any incoming or outgoing telephone calls handled by the Contact Centre, but if payment is required, your payment details will not be included in any recording. Any conversations that take place following the transfer of a phone call to another of the Councils' departments will not be recorded. Call recordings are destroyed after three months.
Any email sent to us, including any attachments, may be monitored and used by us for reasons of security and for monitoring compliance with office policy. Email monitoring or blocking software may also be used. Please be aware that you have a responsibility to ensure that any email you send to us is within the bounds of the law.
When someone visits www.adur-worthing.gov.uk they may need to complete a form which asks for your name, address, phone number, email address or other personal information. We ask for this information so that we can process your enquiry, request or survey. Under the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), the personal information you enter into any form or document on our website is processed using the Legal Basis stated in the respective Privacy Notice.
- Google forms - for surveys and some short forms
- Top Level / Outreach forms - for applying or paying for things
- MatsSoft forms - for applying for things
The Councils use MailChimp to produce newsletters that you may choose to sign up to.
This Privacy Notice was drafted with brevity and clarity in mind. It does not provide exhaustive detail of all aspects of the Councils' collection and use of personal information. Please refer to the specific service 'Privacy Notice' you are using for details of how your personal data is being used.
The Councils use commercial companies and partners to either store personal information or to manage it on our behalf. Where we have these arrangements there is a contract, memorandum of understanding or information sharing protocol in place to ensure that the organisation complies with data protection law.
For legal reasons we may have to share personal information with organisations or individuals outside the Councils if that access, use, preservation or disclosure of the information is reasonably necessary to:
- meet any applicable law, regulation, court order, legal process or enforceable governmental request, or
- for the detection and prevention of crime/fraudulent activity, or
- if there are serious risks to the public, our staff or to other professionals, or
- to protect a child or to protect adults who are thought to be at risk
Under the Data Protection law, you have rights as an individual which you can exercise in relation to the information we hold about you.
The Councils try to be as open as they can be in terms of giving people access to their personal information. Individuals can find out if we hold any personal information by making a 'subject access request' under the Data Protection legislation. See:
The Council's Information Disposal Schedule below contains details of when information and records can be disposed of. Some information is kept on permanent records, eg Committee Reports. Other records such as financial, personnel, VAT and commercial have to be kept for a period to comply with the law. Most other information need only be kept for as long as the information is of value and is being used for business or audit purposes.
We keep our Privacy Notice under regular review. This Privacy Notice was last updated on 05/10/2020.
The following services have published their own Privacy Notices, you can access them using the links below:
- Adur Community Grants - Privacy Notice
- Benefits - Privacy Notice
- Benefits - Privacy Notice - Self-isolation grants
- Bereavement Services Privacy Notice - on the Worthing Crematorium website
- Building Control - Privacy Notice
- Business and Technical Services - Privacy Notice
- Business Rates - Privacy Notice
- Business Support - Privacy Notice
- Coastal Office Privacy Notice
- Communications Service - Privacy Notice
- Communities and wellbeing - Privacy Notice
- Council Tax - Privacy Notice
- Customer Services - Privacy Notice
- Data Protection - Privacy Notice
- Democratic Services - Privacy Notice
- Electoral Services - Privacy Notice
- Environmental Services (Leisure) - Privacy Notice
- Environmental Services (Recycling and Waste) - Privacy Notice
- Estates Management - Privacy Notice
- Finance Department - Privacy Notice
- Grants and funding for businesses - Privacy Notice
- Housing - Privacy Notice
- Human Resources - Recruitment Privacy Notice
- Legal Services - Privacy Notice
- Parking - Privacy Notices
- Place & Economy - Privacy Notices
- Planning applications and enforcement complaints - Privacy Notice
- Planning Policy - Privacy Notice
- Public Health & Regulation - Privacy Notice
- Public Health & Regulation (Food) - Privacy Notice
- Public Health & Regulation (Licensing) - Privacy Notice
- Safety & Resilience - Privacy Notices (Evacuation - Casualty Bureau Forms; General Emergency Planning; Health & Safety; Keyholders for Evacuation Shelters)
- Taxi Licensing - Privacy Notice
- Website and online (this page)
If you have any questions about this Privacy Notice, or the collection and use of personal information, please see the contact:
- Data Protection Officer
Adur & Worthing Councils,
Worthing Town Hall,
- Email: email@example.com