Money support

If you've lost your job or have experienced a loss of income, for example, due to ill-health or because of changes to your benefits, you may be worried about money.

A good place to start to get guidance on your particular situation is creating your own budget, it will help you figure out your long-term goals and work towards them:

You may also find the following information useful:

What to do if you are struggling to pay your rent or mortgage

If you are a tenant and are having problems paying your rent, it's important to seek advice fast. You are at a higher risk of eviction if you miss payments, so you should make your payments in full and on time, or agree a repayment plan with your landlord.

The housing charity Shelter has produced some helpful advice, see:

If you fall behind with your mortgage payments, your house could be repossessed. It's important to seek advice as soon as possible. The following organisations can help you:

Read more about:

Back to top

What to do if you are struggling to pay bills and loans

If you cannot afford to pay your bills or loans, here is a list of organisations that offer free advice and support:

If you would prefer to visit Citizens Advice in person, you can make an appointment to see an advisor, see:

For advice on reducing your energy bills, the following organisations can help you, see:

Find out what grants are available for making your home more energy efficient:

Watch this helpful YouTube video with helpful tips on how to read your energy bill, make sure you're on the right tariff and are paying the right amount: 

Back to top

What to do if you need help with food and other family costs

There are several foodbanks in Adur and Worthing that you can help if you need food:

If you are pregnant or have children under the age of 4, you can get help to buy food and milk. Find out more about the:

If you are experiencing financial problems and have children, they may be entitled to free school meals or school uniform.

If you are struggling with your family income, you may be eligible for benefits - see the section below:

Back to top

Claiming benefits: find out what you can claim and how to make a claim

If you have lost your job or are working reduced hours you may be able to claim benefits:

Housing Benefit or Council Tax Support

Universal Credit, Job Seekers Allowance and New Style Employment and Support Allowance

Watch this video on YouTube to learn more about Universal Credit:

Childcare costs

You can claim child benefit if you are responsible for bringing up a child under the age of 16 or under 20 if they are in education or training. Find out more about:

All children aged 3 to 4 in England are entitled to 15 hours of free childcare. Some are eligible for 30 hours of free childcare, depending on things like your income and whether you are working:

Back to top

Financial help for people aged 50+

Older people can often experience financial problems as a result of a reduced income and additional expenses associated with increasing health and care needs. Here is some advice you may find helpful.

Back to top

Financial help if you're disabled or have a health condition

Back to top

Worried about debts or have missed payments?

There is free, confidential and independent debt advice available. The government sponsored Money Helper can direct you to a debt adviser straight away by telephone or you can get support online, see:

Back to top

Help with finding work

If you have been made redundant, are at risk of being made redundant or are looking for work, we've joined forces with several partner organisations to produce some helpful information about employment issues.

For advice and support see our:

Back to top


Mental Health and Money Toolkit: The Mental Health and Money Toolkit is a resource to help you understand, manage and improve your mental and financial health. You can use it to help guide conversations with your relevant healthcare worker about your mental health and money. You can also take it with you to any money or debt advice appointments you might attend:

You can also try the Money Navigator Tool, which has been created by the Money and Pensions Service:

Back to top

Don't know where to start? Talk to a Money Support Advisor ...

If you can't find the information you need on this webpage or need further guidance, please use the form below to request support from one of our Money Support advisors:

See also:

Back to top

Page last updated: 26 April 2022

Back to top