What to do if you are struggling to pay bills or have missed a payment

If you've lost your job or have experienced a loss of income, for example, due to ill-health or because of changes to your benefits, you may be worried about money.

A good place to start to get guidance on your particular situation is creating your own budget, it will help you figure out your long-term goals and work towards them:

Money Helper

To make your money and pension choices clearer. Cut through the complexity, it will explain what you need to do and how you can do it. For money guidance see:

Mental health and money advice:

If your mental health is being affected by money, or you are struggling with money because of mental illness, you can get information and advice:

Citizen Advice help with your bills

Citizens Advice offer advice on how to get help with bills:

Or you make an appointment to see an advisor:

Household Support Fund

West Sussex County Council (WSCC) give small grants to help vulnerable households meet essential costs, including paying energy bills. Contact WSCC to check if you may be eligible for support from the fund:

Need a helping hand to manage and improve your financial health?

OneStop Money Support service can offer you a benefits assessment check to see if you are entitled to any further support around benefits or help you to make a budget which is the first step toward taking control of your finances and getting your situation back on track. Budgeting can help you see where your money is going, so it's easier to make sure you've covered everything you need to pay for:

Back to top

Page last updated: 27 July 2022

Back to top