Financial help if you're disabled or have a health condition

Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)

You can apply for Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) if you have a disability or health condition that affects how much you can work:

Back to top

Personal Independence Payment (PIP)

A Personal Independence Payment (PIP) can help with extra living costs if you have a long-term physical or mental health condition or disability, and have difficulty doing certain everyday tasks or getting around. You can get PIP even if you're working, have savings or are getting most other benefits:

Back to top

Disability Living Allowance (DLA)

The Disability Living Allowance for children may help you with the extra costs of looking after a child who is under 16 who has difficulty walking, or needs more looking after than a child of the same age who does not have a disability:

Back to top

Attendance Allowance

This is a tax-free benefit if you are State Pension age or over, and need someone to help look after you:

Back to top

Support for carers

Carer's Allowance could help you look after someone with substantial care needs:

You could get Carer's Credit if you're caring for someone for at least 20 hours a week:

Carers Support West Sussex gives unpaid carers information and guidance alongside practical and emotional support:

Back to top

NHS prescriptions

Can you save money with a Prescription Prepayment Certificate (PPC)?

A PPC could save you money if you pay for regular prescriptions. As the NHS website explains:

  • The certificate covers all your NHS prescriptions for a set price.
  • A prescription costs £9.35 per item, but prepaying for an unlimited number of prescriptions is:
    £30.25 for 3 months
  • £108.10 for 12 months (or 10 Direct Debit instalments of £10.81)
  • You will save money if you need more than 3 items in 3 months, or 11 items in 12 months

For further details about the certificate, and how to purchase it, see:

Before buying a PPC, check if you're entitled to free NHS prescriptions and other help with health costs using the NHS eligibility checker:

People with certain medical conditions can get free NHS prescriptions, to find out more see:

Back to top

Travel discounts

You may be eligible for a bus pass or discounts on train fares if you have a disability - information about this is available from West Sussex County Council (WSCC):

Back to top

Page last updated: 27 February 2023

Back to top