Coronavirus update: Despite the lifting of the COVID-19 restrictions, Adur & Worthing Councils are encouraging event organisers to continue to do everything they can to be covid-safe and help keep infection rates low. As part of your Health & Safety risk assessment event organisers will need to continue to assess and include the risks from COVID-19.
The Events Team is available to support the planning of your event, including guiding you through government guidelines and new risk assessments associated with mitigating the risks of viral transmission. If you require further help please contact us on firstname.lastname@example.org
Organising an event on Council land in Adur and Worthing
If you want to hold an event on land owned by the council, you will need permission from our Events Team.
Before planning your event please contact us to make sure the area of land you want to use is available and suitable for the type of event you are proposing:
- Events Team,
Place & Economy,
Adur & Worthing Councils,
Worthing Town Hall,
- Tel: 01273 263463 / 01903 221200
- email: email@example.com
Information about organising an event on council land:
- anyone can organise an event
- an event can be anything from a sponsored walk or community picnic through to large-scale music or sporting spectaculars
- anywhere outside on public land can be considered a possible event site. Examples are our parks, community spaces, streets or the seafront
- you can have an event at any time of year
- please read our Conditions of Hire
- expect to be asked to pay a fee for the use of our land. See below the charges for outdoor events
Charges are for events are as follows:
|Commercial events with an audience up to 1,000 (ie Funfair or Circus) per day||£600 (includes 1 day either side for build and derig)|
|Commercial events with an audience of 1,000+ per day||£1,200* (includes 1 day either side for build and derig)|
|Event build & Derig fees||25% of event fee for build and derig outside either side of event day(s)|
|National charities per day||£300|
|Local Charities & Community Organisations with an audience of 50+ per day||£55.00 (includes 1 day either side for build and derig)|
|Community Events with an audience of less than 50||Nil|
|Damage Deposit:||Small event: £200
Medium event: £350
Large event: £500
Major event: £1,000 ‐ £3,000
Note: A refundable damage deposit may be charged and will be confirmed on booking your event.
* The Council reserves the right to vary price for large scale events
Event organisers may be charged an open space event Cancellation Fee at the point of booking.
In the event that you cancel your event cancellation fees will be charged based on:
- 25% of your overall event fee within 90 days of the event date
- 50% of your overall event fee within 60 days of the event date
- 75% of your overall event fee within 30 days of the event date
- No refund within one week of the event date
Contact us to confirm the date for your event is available.
Once we've agreed your location with you, complete the Open Space Application Form (below).
You must send a comprehensive risk assessment for your event with the application.
If everything is in order we will confirm your event.
You will then need to obtain public liability insurance for your event. A copy of your public liability certificate must be sent to the Events Team to gain full consent for your event to take place.
For further information on organising a safe event see:
- Guidance on running events safely - on the HSE website
- Safety Advisory Group Emergency Planning Guidance on Event Planning (642KB)
- COVID-19 operational checklist - Open Space Events (341KB)
- Events Industry Forum (EIF) - Keeping workers and audiences safe during COVID-19 in the Outdoor Event Industry (341KB)
- Open Space Events Application Form - to type into (219KB)
- Open Space Events Application Form - to hand write (172KB)
Outdoor personal fitness classes and 'boot camps' have become increasingly popular in our parks and open spaces and the council does need to ensure that fitness operators have our permission to run their business from our sites.
As part of a healthy lifestyle, the council encourages residents to enjoy our open spaces and joining an outdoor fitness class is a great way to look after your health and wellbeing.
The increase in popularity of outdoor fitness also raises a number of issues:
- it is not easy for residents to determine whether a fitness trainer is reputable, for example whether they are trained and qualified, hold appropriate insurances, follow best practice in respect of safety measures and DBS (Disclosure and Barring Service checks - previously CRB)
- fitness classes, especially larger ones can have an impact on the grounds and maintenance of the park and on other users
Commercial fitness businesses hosting classes in our parks and open spaces are asked to register with the council and gain permission. The council will issue a licence and fees will be charged based on the type of class hosted and the frequency of the classes; this fee helps to support the administration costs and the maintenance of our green spaces used by those groups, for the benefit of all park users.
As part of the licensing process, operators have to be registered with REPS or UKactive and agree with their code of practice.
Applying for a licence
If you plan on running fitness or sports training groups in a park or open space please apply for your licence from us here.
To apply for a Fitness Licence please ensure you:
- complete an application form
- read and understand our Conditions of Hire
- supply personal trainer/fitness trainer certification and qualifications
- have Public Liability Insurance
- supply a risk assessment covering the activity and the location of your class
Documents you need to read, fill out and return:
- Outdoor Fitness Classes - Application Form - to type into (194KB)
- Outdoor Fitness Classes - Application Form - to hand write (64KB)
|Frequency||Annual Fees 2021/22|
|1 to 2 times per week||£200 per annum|
|3 to 4 times a week||£300 per annum|
|5 to 7 times per week||£400 per annum|
For further information please contact:
- or phone 01903 221207
If you wish to advertise your event you can do so on the Time for Worthing website or hire advertising space on various banner and poster sites across Adur and Worthing, and on lamppost advertising sites.
- Advertising events on the Time for Worthing website
- Promoting your business or local event (hire of advertising space)
Need assistance with this service?
Get in touch:
Open Space Events, Place & Economy
Page last updated: 18 January 2022