Closing a road for an event or street party

Organising a street party to celebrate the King's Coronation

The nation celebrates the King's Coronation between Saturday 6th May and Monday 8th May 2023.

To help residents celebrate the Coronation, Adur & Worthing Councils have waived the usual administration fee for street party road closures. Please note your event must take place between 6th and 8th May 2023.

By 'street party' we mean one that is organised by and for all residents in one or two small streets without external publicity.

If you are thinking of organising a public event in more streets or on a major road please contact:

You will need to make two separate applications: one to close your road:

And a separate application to inform the Council of your celebrations:

Please email your completed King's Coronation street party application form to:

Or post it to:

  • Place & Investment - Events Team,
    Adur & Worthing Councils,
    Chapel Road,
    BN11 1HA
  • Tel: 01273 263463 or 01903 221200

Please note:

  • All applications must be received by the Council by Friday 17th March 2023
  • Any application received after this date will not be considered

Further advice and guidance about street parties can be found on the page below.

See also:

Union Jack bunting (Pixabay - 159064)

Organising a street party

Street parties are an important part of community life, and a great way for friends and neighbours to come together. We want to make it as easy as possible for you to hold a street party or community event.

If you are looking to organise a street party which involves closing a road you will need to have permission from us first. Please read the guidelines below before making an application to close a road for a street party:

Making a road closure application

If you need to apply for a road closure or street diversion for an event, you need to submit an application form at least six weeks before the event is due to take place. You cannot legally stop vehicles from entering or driving down a road unless a road closure order has been granted.

There is a standard application fee of £106.00 (although some events are exempt from paying a fee). This fee is refundable if your application is not successful. You will also need to submit a street plan detailing the road closure with your application.

Please note, if you intend to sell alcohol at your event you will also need to apply for a Temporary Event Notice.

Insurance for your event

By applying for a road closure you agree to indemnify West Sussex County Council as the Highways Authority, in respect of any claims for loss or damage to property and death or injury to persons, relating to your activities, in whatever amounts, throughout the period of the permission.

It is not a Council requirement to have public liability insurance for a residential street party, but if you are interested in finding out more please check out the following website for more information:

The template below will help you create a risk assessment for your event:

Road closure signs

It is possible to loan signage depending on availability. Please note this is a chargeable service. Please email us for further details:

For information about how to place road signs please see:

Apply for a temporary road closure or street diversion

Further advice

To make an enquiry about applying for a road closure for an event please email us on

For more helpful advice and tips regarding planning an event or street party see:

Find out about upcoming planned road closures

You may also be interested in:

Back to top

Need assistance with this service?
Get in touch:

Page last updated: 10 February 2023

Back to top