Promoting your business or local event
The information on this page relates to different ways you can promote your business or local event within Adur and Worthing if you are a local community group or charity, or a business.
Displaying notices, posters and banners on buildings and street furniture without permission from the owner is considered to be fly posting, which is illegal. The Councils take a zero tolerance policy to unauthorised fly posting, and we can take legal action against those responsible. Unauthorised banners, boards and posters found on street furniture will be removed, and any costs incurred will be recovered from those responsible. We can also order owners of a property to remove any posters displayed and issue fines to owners who refuse to do so.
Organisers of events using Council owned open spaces or property for events and funfairs are reminded not to use fly posting as a way to advertise their event; this is detailed in the terms and conditions for site hire and venue bookings. Failure to comply with this will mean you will not be given consideration for such use of the site in the future.
Please note: We are no longer taking bookings for display in our media shelters. The final date for display in our media shelters was 31st March 2023. The display of banners and community posters remains unaffected.
If you are an organiser of a local event, or you'd like to share details of a local business/community service, the Adur Promotion Service gives access to our community notice boards within bus shelters for A4 posters, and a range of banner and board display sites on Adur Council owned land.
Businesses and charitable organisations are also welcome to use the Promotional Stand service to promote their products by using one of our designated pitches in the town centres of Adur as well as locations in our neighbouring town of Worthing.
For more information on all these opportunities, including details on how to apply, please see below:
Please note: Bookings and Installations have resumed for 2024. To ensure your display for January, please make sure to submit a completed application to firstname.lastname@example.org and that your postals are delivered to: FAO Markets Officer, Business Park, 9 Commerce Way, Lancing, BN15 8TA by 15th January. The next install dates for the service are: 19th February and 12th March.
Community and charity groups and organisations can apply to display A4 posters at designated bus shelters across Adur to promote their events. Advertising for commercial events is not permitted.
There is a nominal charge for this service of £1.00 plus VAT (£1.20) per poster per month. This is to assist with the costs incurred for arranging the installation of posters into the panels at bus shelters.
Posters must conform to the following guidelines:
- the maximum size for posters is A4 (portrait only)
- posters must be laminated if using an inkjet printer
Applications will be considered with the following conditions:
- All applications will be considered on a first come, first served basis
- Adur District Council reserves the right to refuse an application based on the content of the advertisement
- Promotional material will be removed after the event has taken place
Posters need to be sent to the Place and Economy Team at least 6 weeks (preferably more) before the event and will be installed by a member of the team once a month. The Council regrets that it cannot accept liability for any consequences in failing to install posters in time.
Locations and sites available for the display of posters
There are 37 bus shelters which are available for the display of posters across Adur, including:
- 15 in Lancing
- 15 in Shoreham
- 7 in Southwick
- CHU003: Sompting Road adjacent to Railway Station, Lancing
- CHU004: Adjacent to 119 Sompting Road, Lancing
- CHU005: Western Road adjacent Southon View, Lancing
- CKM001: Adjacent to 75 Howard Road, North Lancing
- CKM002: Opposite 25 Howard Road, North Lancing
- CKM003: Adjacent to 49 Meadowview Road, North Lancing
- CKM005: Outside 58, Cokeham Road, Lancing
- MAN003: Manor Road, North Lancing
- MBN004: Adjacent to 52 Grinstead Lane, Lancing
- MBN006: Shadwells Court, Shadwells Road, Lancing
- PEV002: Adjacent to 92 Western Road, Lancing
- WID002: Brighton Road adjacent to Adur Close, Lancing
- WID004: 181 Brighton Road, opposite The Haven, Lancing
- WID007: Brighton Road (opposite Old Salts Farm) Lancing
- WID010: Adjacent to 186 Brighton Road, Lancing
- BUC001: Upper Shoreham Road adjacent to Tarragon Way, Shoreham-by-Sea
- BUC002: Adjacent to 124 Upper Shoreham Road, Shoreham-by-Sea
- BUC003: Outside 312 Upper Shoreham Road, Shoreham-by-Sea
- BUC004: Adjacent to 272 Southlands Parade, Shoreham-by-Sea
- HIL007: Adjacent to 19 Old Shoreham Road, Shoreham-by-Sea
- MAR002: Beach Green Toilets, Shoreham-by-Sea
- SLD002: Upper Shoreham Road, opposite Tarragon Way, Shoreham-by-Sea
- SLD004: Adjacent to 74 Hammy Lane, Shoreham-by-Sea
- SLD005: Fraser Court, Wilmot Road, Shoreham-by-Sea
- SLD008: Southlands Hospital, Hammy Lane, Shoreham-by-Sea
- SLD009: Milward Court, Wilmot Road, Shoreham-by-Sea
- STM001: Police Station, Ham Road, Shoreham-by-Sea
- STM009: Police Station, Ham Road, Shoreham-by-Sea
- STN001: Buckingham Road adjacent to the railway, Shoreham-by-Sea
- STN003: Red Lion PH, Old Shoreham Road, Shoreham-by-Sea
- EAS004: Outside 288 Old Shoreham Road, Southwick
- HIL001: Opposite Lower Drive, Southwick
- HIL002: 56 Downsway Road, opposite Southwick Cemetery, Southwick
- HIL004: Outside 128 Downsway, Southwick
- HIL005: 249 Old Shoreham Road, Southwick
- HIL006: Holmbush Way, Southwick
- SGR005: Outside 2 Southwick Green, Southwick
Apply to display your event poster(s)
- Application form to display A4 posters In Community Information Panels in Adur Towns - to type into (46KB)
- Application form to display A4 posters In Community Information Panels in Adur Towns - to hand write (76KB)
Across Adur, we have a number of designated sites that are available to commercial businesses and events, charitable groups and not-for-profit organisations for the display of banners and boards in the two-week period leading up to your event.
Banners and Display Boards are free of charge to all local Adur events arranged by a community group or a charity. If you are a CIC (Community Interest Company), you will be required to provide your company registration details. For all commercial events, including all events which require an admission ticket or entrance fee, there is a weekly charge of £20.00 plus VAT (£24.00) per week. Where applicable, if you are a charity, please provide your charity exemption certificate to ensure you are not charged VAT.
Banners and display boards must conform to the following:
- No banner is to exceed 1.5 square metre or 2.5 metres in length, and 1 metre in depth
- No display board to exceed 1 square metre (optimum dimensions for each site are displayed on the application form)
- No banner or board to be installed more than two weeks prior to the event and it must be removed immediately afterwards
- No return to the same pitch within two weeks of booking ending, except in exceptional circumstances
- A banner or board must only be promoting a local event in the Adur and Worthing area
- Each site has been surveyed to allow for a maximum number of banners/boards at any one time; this number cannot be exceeded
Applications must be received at least four weeks before the start of display (six weeks before the event), and will be considered with the following conditions:
- All applications will be considered on a first come, first served basis
- The applicant is responsible for ensuring that they have adequate and suitable public liability insurance, to a minimum of £5 million. A copy of the certificate will be required upon approval of application
- The safe fixing and removal of banners or display boards is the responsibility of the applicant, once they have received notification of approval
- Applicants must ensure that banners and boards are securely attached at all times
- Each banner and board display site differs in size. It is the applicant's responsibility to check the dimensions of their designated site to achieve a secure fit with optimal presentation
- Adur District Council reserve the right to remove any banner or board that is considered insecure, inappropriate or of a size in excess of that agreed
- The positioning of any banner or board must not cause a conflict with any road users and road safety
- Banners and boards must be removed immediately after the event. Late removals will incur an additional weekly charge to cover our costs for removal
- A maximum display period of two weeks applies to all bookings. If the event is over a longer period, then we may be able to agree to a longer display period of up to 28 days maximum but only in exceptional circumstances
Locations and sites available for the display of banners and boards
- SHR001: Buckingham Park: 3 spaces available
- SHR002: Coronation Green (west of foot bridge): 6 spaces available
- SHR003: Ham Rec. (facing north), Eastern Avenue: 2 spaces available
- SHR004: Ham Rec. (facing south), Brighton Road: 4 spaces available
- SHR005: Eastern Avenue allotments: 6 spaces available (3 north, 3 south)
- SHR006: Middle Road allotments: 3 spaces available
Southwick / Fishersgate:
- SWK001: Southwick Green facing Southwick Square: 4 spaces available
- SWK002: Fishersgate Recreation Ground: 3 spaces available
- SKW003: Kingston Lifeboat Station: 3 spaces available
- LAN001: Lancing Manor (to the east of bus shelter): 5 spaces available
Apply to display your event banner(s) or board(s)
You can now make your application and any payment online using our portal. Please use the link below to access the application system:
To assist businesses, charity organisations or similar with the promotion of their products and services, we have a selection of pitches available for hire in Adur and Worthing. These pitches are available for hire daily with a reduced rate for bookings of three consecutive days.
Our fees for local businesses, charity organisations or similar, are £53.00 per day, or £130.00 for a 3-day booking. For larger national / commercial promotions, our fees start at £200.00 per day and are based on individual requirements.
Prices from 1st April 2023 to 31st March 2024. Prices are subject to an annual increase in April, prices correct as at 1st April 2023, Fees are payable once your requested date(s) have been confirmed.
In order to reserve a pitch, you will need to provide proof of Public Liability Insurance cover, to a minimum of £5 million, with your application and provide details (including dimensions) of any portable stall or other equipment which you wish to use in connection with your promotion.
Please note that:
- The distribution of leaflets is not encouraged and any littering caused by leaflets/flyers will remain the responsibility of the hirer
- The hirer must ensure that any waste created by the promotional event is removed from the site and disposed of correctly
- Consent cannot be given for days when the location is already booked for another event (eg markets) or for when maintenance works are being carried out
- Parking is not available at any pitch, except for the vehicle/unit associated with the promotional stand
- Pitches are intended for promotional use only. The sale of products is not permitted at any pitch
- Services (electricity/water) are currently unavailable at any pitch
Apply for a Promotional Pitch
- Application form for a promotional stand at designated sites - to type into (289KB)
- Application form for a promotional stand at designated sites - to hand write (253KB)
For banner display at the roadside in Worthing, please contact WSCC Highways. They are able to issue consent for banner placement at:
- Broadwater Street West / Ardsheal Road
- Broadwater Road / Carnegie road
- Newlands Road (near Morrisons)
- Poulters Corner (Thomas a Becket)
- Western Road / Brighton Road)
There are also two sites above Montague Street which can be reserved:
- between Vision Express and H&M
- between Marks & Spencers and Superdrug
The banners can be on site for a period of up to two weeks, the hirer is responsible for installation and removal, public liability insurance cover of at least £5 million is required for your booking and all enquiries need to be sent by email to:
Please note: the advertising rotundas previously bookable through the Worthing Town Centre Initiative are no longer available.
Time for Worthing is Adur & Worthing Councils' official tourism information website for Worthing and the surrounding area. The site includes local events listings:
To include details of your event on the Time for Worthing website, please see:
Need assistance with this service?
Get in touch:
Adur Town Centres - Place and Economy Team
Worthing Town Centre Initiative
Page last updated: 11 January 2024