Where do I begin?

Many people want to get a property with the Council or a Registered Provider (often referred to as Housing Associations). However, there is a severe shortage of this type of housing, even when people urgently need to move.

If you are looking for a home and do not know how to go about this, or do not know if you are eligible for council housing. Firstly, we would recommend taking advice to discuss all the options available to you.

Applying to the Council for housing is something that may help you in the longer term but if you need to move quickly, you need to speak to us about your situation. Many people find accommodation to rent in the private sector but people are put off by the cost. Sometimes there is help available and we can talk to you about this.

First, you need to apply to be on the housing register.

Registered Providers (Housing Associations / Social Landlords)

These are non-profit making organisations which aim to provide affordable housing for people in housing need. Properties that are made available to the Councils from Registered Providers are advertised via Choice Based Lettings. The Council can then provide nominees to the Registered Providers from the people who have bid for the properties that are advertised via Choice Based Lettings. Adur & Worthing Councils are generally able to nominate to 75% of vacancies that become available from Registered Providers. Registered Providers may use the remaining 25% of vacancies that arise for their own tenants to transfer.

Some Registered Providers provide specialist housing, such as sheltered housing or supported housing.

The main Registered Providers who operate across Adur and Worthing are listed below (alphabetically). You can find out more about them and their full contact details on their external websites:

Back to top

Page last updated: 27 August 2021

Back to top