Private rented accommodation
How to find a home to rent
You can look for private properties to rent:
- online, on websites such as Rightmove or Zoopla
- in the property pages of local newspapers
- by visiting letting agencies
- on noticeboards and adverts in local shops and cafés
What you need to consider
When looking for a new home you need to consider a number of factors, including:
- how much you can afford to spend on rent
- which area you want to live in
- how many bedrooms you need
How much it will cost
If you find a home using a letting agent remember you will usually need to pay the first month's rent in advance, along with a deposit (up to 5 weeks' rent for properties with an annual rent below £50,000).
You may be able to get a crisis loan to help you pay your rent in advance and in some circumstances we may be able to help. Please note that you will need to find the money to pay any fees, and certain checks will need to be carried out before we can provide any financial assistance. Any assistance provided is discretionary.
For more information and advice about private rented accommodation see:
Need assistance with this service?
Get in touch:
Housing: Needs Team
Page last updated: 16 October 2023