Housing Register - Applying for housing

General information

There is a severe shortage of housing available and approximately 1 in every 10 people will be rehoused each year.

Many people wait more than three years to get a property through the Housing Register and others may not be rehoused at all.

Back to top

How do I apply?

There have been some important changes made to the regulations for collecting and storing personal information under new legislation called GDPR which takes effect from 25th May 2018. For further information on how the Council manages the information it collects from you please see the Housing privacy notice.

The quickest and easiest way to apply for the Housing Register is online.

Applying online is a 2 step process. The first step lets you check if you are likely to qualify to join the Housing Register and gives you advice to help with your housing needs.

If the information you provide shows that you are likely to qualify for the Housing Register, you can then move onto step 2 and complete a full application form online.

To complete the online application form you will need a National Insurance Number and an email address.

Providing those details lets you access your application at any time and lets us update you about the progress of your application.

You can also provide a mobile phone number and be contacted by text.

What documents do I need to provide?

If you make an application, you will need to provide copies of the following documents with your application to enable it to be assessed:

  • Proof of identification for you and any other person included on your application
  • Marriage or divorce certificates
  • Proof of income, benefits and any savings you have
  • Documents confirming your current situation, for example, tenancy agreement, notice to leave your accommodation, court papers, letters from your mortgage lender or landlord
  • Details in relation to any medical conditions

You can send us copies of documents that are needed for your application when you apply online - please ensure you have copies of them ready before you start your application.

Please note: Processing times for Housing Register applications may take up to 6 weeks. We would ask that customers bear with us during this very busy period. We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause.

If you require help in setting up an email account, or need support with using computers or other devices, please visit a 'One Stop Junction' near you, or your local library, who may be able to help:

Back to top

How will my application be prioritised?

There are four Bands - A, B, C and D - which are used to assess the priority a person has for rehousing.

Band A is the highest Band and only applicants that have the most urgent need for housing are placed in Band A.

There is a very small percentage of applicants in Band A and most applicants who are rehoused are in Band C.

If you do not have a local connection to the Council you are applying to then you will have a very low or often no priority for rehousing at all.

You will also have a priority date for housing which is either the date of you original application to us or the date you moved up into a higher Band.

Back to top

How long will it take before I am rehoused?

The Register of Housing Need cannot provide an immediate solution to your housing problem, even if you are homeless.

The length of time you will have to wait will depend on the type of property you need and the area where you want to live.

If you need a specific type of accommodation, or only want to live in a house, you will have to wait longer than someone who is willing to live in any area that the Council covers and in any type of accommodation.

On average, many people wait three years for housing but if you are in Band D, it is unlikely you would ever be rehoused.

Back to top

What happens to my application if I move?

You must let us know if you move and want to remain on the Housing Register.

If you move to a similar type of accommodation that you were already living in, you may stay in the same Band with the same priority date.

However, all applications are reassessed when circumstances change so your Band and/or priority date may change.

Back to top

What happens if my circumstances change?

You must notify us and providing any supporting documents (for example a copy of the birth certificate and proof of child benefit if you have recently had a child).

Your application will be reassessed to decide whether your change of circumstances affects your Band or Priority Date.

Back to top

What happens if I am homeless?

If you are already homeless or about to become homeless you need to contact us for advice. In most cases the fact that you are homeless does not change the priority you have for rehousing and you will not be given additional priority over those people that are already in need of housing and are registered with us.

See also: Housing advice

Back to top

I am a tenant of Adur Council or Registered Provider (often referred to as Housing Associations) in Adur or Worthing and want to transfer to another property

If you are already a tenant of the Council or a Housing Association but need to move to alternative accommodation, you can apply to join the Housing Register.

The Band and priority is assessed in the same way as any other housing applicant. This means that if you are in accommodation that is a suitable size for you but you just want to move to a different area (for example if you have problems with your neighbours) you are unlikely to be given any priority to move and should pursue a mutual exchange.

See also: Homeswap / Mutual Exchange

If you require help in setting up an email account, or need support with using computers or other devices, please visit an 'One Stop Junction' near you, or your local library, who may be able to help:

Back to top

Page last updated: 10 March 2021

Back to top