Frequently asked questions - Council Tax bills and Benefit award letters

Last updated: 13th March 2024

How much has my Council Tax gone up by for 2024/25?

How much your Council Tax has increased by will depend on where you live, due to local changes:

  • Lancing: +4.6%
  • Sompting: +4.6%
  • Shoreham, Southwick and Coombes: +4.8%
  • Worthing: +4.8%

These increases are made up of:

  • an increase to the district/borough Council element of:
    • 2.7% in Adur
    • 9.6% for Adur special expenses
    • 3.0% in Worthing
  • an increase to the West Sussex County Council element of 2.99%
  • an increase to the Sussex Police & Crime Commissioner element of 5.4%
  • a decrease in the Lancing Parish element of 0.0%
  • a decrease in the Sompting Parish element of -3.2%

All local changes are reflected on your bill. For more details of the charges see:

My bill shows how much Council Tax I owe for the year. How do I find out what my monthly instalments are?

You can find a list of your monthly instalments on the reverse side of your bill.

I can see my monthly instalments listed on the back of my bill, but how can I find out what payment method I am currently using?

Please check the statement beneath the list of monthly instalments, which should confirm this. If you wish to arrange to pay by Direct Debit please complete the Direct Debit mandate which will have been sent out with your bill. If you would like to discuss your instalments and payment method please get in touch:

  • if you live in Adur please call 01273 263111
  • if you live in Worthing please call 01903 221061

I am currently paying my Council Tax over ten monthly instalments, but would like to pay over twelve. What should I do?

Council Tax is usually split into 10 monthly payments. However, you can choose to spread the payments over 12 months. Please get in touch to discuss:

  • if you live Adur, please call 01273 263111
  • if you live in Worthing, please call 01903 221061

I would like to pay using a PayPoint machine. Do I need a payment card?

We don't issue payment cards, but you can scan the barcode on the side of your bill at any PayPoint machine to make your payment.

I have received a letter referring to Council Tax but it doesn't seem to be my Council Tax bill?

This may be your Council Tax Support award letter, explaining how much help with paying your Council Tax you are eligible to receive. Your Council Tax bill will arrive separately. This will include a breakdown of how much you owe, and the amount will reflect your Council Tax Support reduction.

I receive maximum Council Tax Support but have just received a Council Tax bill. Does this mean I still have to pay?

Everyone liable for Council Tax receives a bill, including those who receive Council Tax Support. If you check the reverse side of your bill you will see if there are any instalments that you need to pay.

Why does it state on the reverse side of my bill that I have a balance owing for a previous year?

This may refer to the instalment due in March 2024 from your previous bill for 2023/24, or there may be some outstanding amounts due from a previous year. Remember that any payments made after the date on your bill (in the top right-hand corner) will not have been taken into account. If you need to discuss this further please get in touch:

  • if you live Adur, please call 01273 263111
  • if you live in Worthing, please call 01903 221061

My bill says 'less other discount' when it breaks down my annual charge. What does this mean?

You may be receiving a discount on your Council Tax, for instance because you are a full time student, or are a carer. If you're not sure and would like to discuss further, please contact us:

  • if you live Adur, please call 01273 263111
  • if you live in Worthing, please call 01903 221061

There is a charge called 'special expenses' listed on my Adur Council Tax bill. What is this for?

This charge relates to the maintenance of greens and open spaces by Adur District Council. It is shown as a separate item on Council Tax bills for all areas within Adur except for Lancing, where it's included in the Lancing Parish Council charge. This is because in Lancing the Parish Council is responsible for maintaining greens and open spaces, rather than Adur District Council. Listing the charge as 'special expenses' means Lancing residents aren't charged twice (once in the Lancing Parish Council charge and once in the Adur District Council charge).

My neighbour has received their bill, but I haven't got mine yet. Is there a problem?

We have almost 80,000 bills to post so they're sent out over a number of days. If you still haven't received your bill by the 25th March 2024 please contact us so we can reissue it:

  • if you live Adur, please call 01273 263111
  • if you live in Worthing, please call 01903 221061

Back to top

Page last updated: 13 March 2024

Back to top