How to pay your Council Tax

Please note: For all payment options please have your Council Tax account number ready:

  • Adur account numbers are 8-digit numbers beginning with 30
  • Worthing account numbers are 9-digit numbers beginning with 90

You can find further information explaining your bill on our Your Council Tax Bill Explained page.

Pay by Direct Debit

The easiest and most secure way to pay your Council Tax is by Direct Debit. You can choose to pay:

  • monthly (on 1st, 8th, 15th or 25th of the month)
  • half yearly
  • annually

Please complete the correct form below and return to us, and we'll do the rest. But please remember to continue making payments by another method until you receive a letter confirming that the Direct Debit has been set up.

Pay online by credit or debit card

Pay over the phone

You can call our 24-hour payment line on 0300 123 6002.

Pay by internet banking

To pay your bill you will need to give your bank or building society the following details:

  • If you live in Adur:
    • Account name: Adur District Council
    • Account number: 11766960
    • Sort code: 30-80-12
    • your Adur Council Tax account number: an 8-digit number beginning with 30
  • If you live in Worthing:
    • Account name: Worthing Borough Council
    • Account number: 11723668
    • Sort code: 30-80-12
    • your Worthing Council Tax account number: an 9-digit number beginning with 90

Pay by standing order

Please complete the correct form below and return to your bank. Please make sure you include your Council Tax account number.

Pay by PayPoint or at a Post Office

You can pay at any Post Office or PayPoint outlet. You will need to take your bill with you as it has a barcode linked to your account.

Problems paying your Council Tax?

If you are having problems:

  • making an online payment for your Council Tax
  • paying your Council Tax

Please contact the relevant Council Tax team using the contact details below.

See also: Help with Council Tax payments

Request a refund of over-paid Council Tax

Use the form below to request a refund of over-paid Council Tax:

Back to top

Page last updated: 21 March 2024

Back to top