Your Internet Explorer is out of date

You are using an older version of Microsoft Internet Explorer which the Adur & Worthing Councils' website does not support.

This is an out of date web browser, and also potentially insecure. You should upgrade your browser for free to at least Internet Explorer 9 to use this website, or consider another web browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera.

Upgrade Internet Explorer from
RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube Google+ logo

Adur District residents: The Council Tax service for Adur District Council is provided by the CenSus Partnership Website, please refer to the CenSus website for full details - Adur Council Tax bands and charges (on the CenSus website) or Adur Council Tax Appeals (on the CenSus website).
Worthing Borough residents: please refer to the information below.

Council Tax bands, charges
and Council Tax appeals

Council Tax bands and charges

Your Council Tax bill will indicate which band applies to your property. The total amount due is made up of charges for:

  • West Sussex County Council
  • Worthing Borough Council
  • The Sussex Police & Crime Commissioner

The Council Tax bands and charges are displayed below. To find out which band your property (or the one you are considering moving to) is currently set at, you can use the Check your Council Tax band tool on the website.

Worthing Council Tax Charges
Valuation band1991 value of property2016/17 charge2017/18 charge
Band A £40,000 or less £1,051.35 £1,089.43
Band B £40,001 to £52,000 £1,226.58 £1,271.00
Band C £52,001 to £68,000 £1,401.80 £1,452.57
Band D £68,001 to £88,000 £1,577.03 £1,634.14
Band E £88,001 to £120,000 £1,927.48 £1,997.28
Band F £120,001 to £160,000 £2,277.93 £2,360.42
Band G £160,001 to £320,000 £2,628.38 £2,723.57
Band H More than £320,000 £3,154.06 £3,268.28

If you wish to appeal against your banding please refer to the appeals section (below).

If you don't already do so, please pay your Council Tax by Direct Debit as this will reduce the cost of collection and contribute toward keeping the level of Council Tax to a minimum.

Back to top

Worthing BC Council Tax Expenditure Information

Every year we are required by central Government to provide information about how Council Tax helps to pay for the services provided by Worthing Borough Council.

Up until 2012/13 a guide was sent with each bill, but with effect from 1st April 2013 the law was changed enabling this information to be provided online, and the details for the period from 1st April 2017 to 31st March 2018 are available in the file below:

If you would like to be sent a printed copy please contact a Customer Services Advisor on telephone number 01903 221061.

Back to top

West Sussex County Council Expenditure Information

Information about the way in which West Sussex County Council (WSCC) spends money raised from Council Tax is detailed in the leaflet below:

Or for more information see the:

Back to top

The policing element of your Council Tax

The policing element of your Council Tax is set by the Sussex Police & Crime Commissioner (SPCC). Information about the way in which the SPCC spends money raised from Council Tax is detailed in the leaflet below:

To find out more about the way this part of your Council Tax is spent and how police resources are allocated please visit:

Back to top

Council Tax appeals

Property Valuation Service Companies:
You may have heard about, or been approached by, Property Valuation Service Companies who offer to help you with property banding appeal.
There is no need to use one of these companies. Most people have no problem making an appeal as it is relatively straightforward. These companies will typically take a quarter of your refund or more, and may also try to charge an upfront fee.
You can appeal your property banding yourself for free using the link below.

Making an appeal does not confer any rights to withhold payment. However, if your appeal is successful you will be entitled to a refund of any overpaid Council Tax. We have produced a guide about your right of appeal:

Appeals against the banding

The grounds for appeal about the banding of your property are restricted to the following situations:

  • where you became the taxpayer in respect of a dwelling for the first time (your appeal must be made to the Listing Officer within six months, but if the same appeal has already been considered and determined by a Valuation Tribunal, it cannot be made again)
  • where you believe that the banding should be changed because there has been a material increase or material reduction in a dwelling's value
  • where you start or stop using part of your dwelling to carry out a business, or the balance between domestic and business use changes
  • where the Listing Officer has altered a list without a proposal having been made by a taxpayer

The Listing Officer is an independent Officer of the Crown. Contact the Valuation Officer Agency at the relevant office below:

Appeals against Council Tax decisions

There are also appeal rights if you consider that you are not liable to pay Council Tax. Examples include:

  • you are not the resident or owner
  • the property is exempt
  • you believe the Council has made a mistake in calculating your bill

If you wish to make an appeal on these grounds you must first notify the Council Tax section, in writing, so that we have the opportunity to reconsider the case.

What happens if you turn down my appeal?

After you have made an appeal to us and you still think that your Council Tax bill is wrong, you can appeal to the Valuation Tribunal within two months of receiving our revised decision. The address you should use is:

  • Valuation Tribunal for England,
    Second Floor,
    120 Leman Street,
    E1 8EU

If you do not receive a reply from the Council, you may appeal to the Valuation Tribunal within four months of your written appeal to the Council.

Appeals about Discretionary Decisions

There is no automatic right of appeal against a discretionary decision of the Council (for example, the reduction in discounts on second homes). You may only appeal against a discretionary decision by way of Judicial Review and even then only about the way the decision was made, and not the result.

Back to top