Make a complaint about a licensed premises

Who to report a problem to

  • Issues involving a licensed premises, licence holder or licensable activity should be reported to the relevant licensing authority (either Adur District Council or Worthing Borough Council) by calling the Licensing Unit
  • Incidents of crime or anti-social behaviour should be reported to Sussex Police:

What happens when you make a licensing complaint to us

Our licensing officers will investigate your complaint and then respond to your enquiry. To help our investigation please provide the following information:

  • your name
  • your contact details
  • the name and address of the premises concerned
  • as much information as possible relating to the complaint

In some instances it will be appropriate for us to pass the matter on to the relevant responsible authority to look into such as the Police, Environmental Health Team, Trading Standards, etc. 

Your details will not be passed on to the licensee or business concerned without your prior consent. 

What action we can take 

We recognise the enormous value businesses operating in Adur and Worthing bring to both the local economy and the community. We want to help businesses to operate effectively within the law, whilst causing as little disturbance to the public as possible.

When investigating any complaints or taking enforcement action the licensing team will act in accordance with our enforcement policy, and work to ensure a fair and consistent approach to all parties involved. 

Factors such as the seriousness of the issue and whether there has been a history of similar incidents will be taken into account when any form of enforcement action is being considered.

Depending on the type of licence enforcement, options can range from:

  • informal advice
  • formal warnings
  • modification of the terms of the licence
  • exclusion of a licensable activity from the scope of the licence
  • removal of the designated premises supervisor because the problems are the result of poor management
  • suspension of the licence
  • revocation of a licence
  • or prosecution


Apply for a review of a premises licence

You can apply to the licensing authority, via the licensing unit, to review a premises licence in the case of serious or ongoing problems, or when you believe the issue relates to one or more of the:

Please see:

Comment on a licence application

To have your say about a new licence application or change to an existing licence please see:

See also:

Back to top

Need assistance with this service?
Get in touch:

Page last updated: 23 January 2024

Back to top