Please note: We have now completed active marketing for available concession pitches in the Summer 2023 season. Our online portal is now closed while we consider the applications received and allocate pitches. Depending on availability, the online portal may re-open in late March for businesses wishing to make an application for any remaining pitches. Please get in touch with the Concessions Team if you have any questions.
As part of the continuing Seafront Investment Plan, the Place and Economy Team aims to identify, develop and maximise additional commercial opportunities in Adur and Worthing, including the enhancement of existing facilities, services and attractions. The provision of new facilities will be encouraged to promote and enhance the character of the designated activity zones.
A Seasonal Concession Licence gives the licensee temporary consent to trade from Council owned land where no Council building for exclusive use or significant occupation takes place. The site must only be used for the purpose defined by the licence.
The Council may suspend or vary operation of the concession subject to the licence on 24 hours' notice or immediately in the event of an emergency (such as, if repair works to the Council's land, promenade or the adjoining foreshore are to be carried out), or if a public event is to take place.
Any request requiring a business lease or a formal tender will continue to be dealt with by the Councils' Property Team.
Conditions of licence
All concession operators are required to submit copies of their:
- Public liability insurance, to cover a minimum of £5 million
- Business risk assessment
- Duty of Care Waste Transfer Note valid for the entire duration of concession period (waste carrier notes are not acceptable)
- Power source used for the concession unit (battery, gas, solar, diesel / petrol generator)
Note: generators will only be permitted in exceptional circumstances, where no other means of power are available. Alternative means of power including solar and battery power should be considered in the first instance. If diesel or petrol generators are to be used, the noise from these must not exceed 50dB LAeq at the nearest boundary to noise sensitive premises. A drip tray must be in use at all times and a spill kit must be kept alongside the generator in view and available for any emergency use. No refuelling should take place on the beach.
In addition to these documents, all food and drink providers are also required to provide copies of their:
- Food Hygiene Rating
- Any relevant hygiene/food training certificates and qualifications
- Gas/electrical safety certificates (where applicable)
All water sport operators are also required to provide copies of their:
- Valid BKSA/IKO or equivalent instructor certificate
- Any relevant training certificates including First Aid
When signing up as a trader under the Seasonal Concessions Programme, we would like to draw your attention to a number of important clauses which must be agreed to:
- Return of Access Keys: The deposit will be returned in full providing the key is returned within seven days of the licence ending. Outside the seven-day period, the deposit will be returned at the Council's discretion.
- Payment of Licence Fee by Invoice: To ensure that prompt payment of each invoice is fulfilled. Failure to complete payment within 30 days of the invoice being issued may result in termination of licence and / or loss of ability to apply for a licence in the subsequent two seasons.
- Opening Times: To ensure that adequate opening times at the allocated pitch are provided throughout the Period of the licence, with the licensed concession being open at least two days per week during the off-peak months, and open at least four days per week during the peak months (June, July, August)
- Cancelling an Agreement before the Period End: A cancellation fee of up to 50% of the remaining licence fee may be charged to determine the licence when it is actioned by the Licensee.
- Request an amendment to a licence during the term: Any variation of licence requested by the Licensee will be subject to an administration fee of £55.00.
- Parking units overnight: The Unit must be parked overnight at the Licensee's registered address or, if not possible, parked elsewhere and in accordance with the parking restrictions and not to cause an obstruction or nuisance
This policy applies to all concessions granted for operation along the promenade and seafront, and in the surrounding parks, gardens and open spaces owned by Adur & Worthing Councils. Please note that this is a live document and will be reviewed regularly.
Concession locations: clusters and pitches
In Worthing: the area for seasonal concessions includes the length of the seafront from Western Road in the east to Goring Gap in the west, with 35 seafront pitches and seven park/town pitches. Our Property Team also manages the leasing of Council owned property, including the seafront kiosks. Each year we have a number of returning concessions, including mobile refreshments, fresh seafood and water sports.
In Adur: whilst there is no formal promenade, we have 12 pitches available for concessions within the parks and by the river, as well as on the coastline at Shoreham and Southwick.
Each concession cluster has a number of pitches within the location, with some clusters suitable for more than one category of concession. For further details please view the map below:
- Food: pizzas, doughnuts, crepes, wraps/paninis, gourmet burgers/sausages, rice boxes, street food, vegan alternatives, etc
- Refreshments: drinks including teas, coffees and soft drinks, light snacks (biscuits, cakes, pastries, etc) - alcohol sales by arrangement with the licensing unit only
- Ice-creams: either from a van, small unit or hand-cart/trike, serving artisan ice-creams, soft-serve and lollies
- Leisure, Arts and Crafts: including kite-surf and paddle board hire and instruction, cycles, face painting, hair braiding, hand-made goods, local produce (non-food) etc
- Seafood and Fish Sales: either as a concession unit or as ancillary sales from an existing fish sales locker registered with a local fisherman
How to apply
Please use the link below to find out about:
- our current licence fees
- our available concession pitches
- how to apply for a licence
- and to browse our FAQs
Any other questions?
If you have any further questions, please contact:
Need assistance with this service?
Get in touch:
Seasonal Concessions, Place & Economy Team
Page last updated: 08 February 2023