Make a complaint about food

The Public Health & Regulation Team deals with food complaints that pose a public health risk.

Do you suspect you have food poisoning?

If you are contacting Public Health & Regulation regarding your experience at an eating establishment within our area and suspect that you have contracted food poisoning please be aware that there are many illnesses that have very similar symptoms to that of food poisoning.

We are only able to investigate and update you on this matter if we receive formal confirmation that your illness was caused by a particular food poisoning organism.

Formal notification means that we have been notified by the UK Health Security Agency (UKHSA) that the sample you submitted tested positive for a particular food poisoning organism.

This can be done by arranging a faecal sample from your medical practitioner. The results will state what has caused your illness. With this information, we can commence an investigation.

We will inform the business that we have received a complaint and that further investigation may follow if your sample results are positive for a specific food poisoning organism.

Back to top

When to make a complaint about food

If there is a problem with food that you have bought that you believe could pose a food safety or health risk, you can report it to us using the complaint form below. This could include:

  • food that shows visible signs of mould or decay
  • food that contains a foreign object
  • food that has caused food poisoning, eg salmonella

Some common food complaints, while unpleasant, do not necessarily pose a public health risk. In these cases you should contact the food manufacturer or supplier to make a complaint.

The leaflet below provides examples of some common food complaints, with a guide to the best course of action to take for each one:

Back to top

How to make a complaint about a food premises or activity

If you are concerned about the hygiene standards of a food business that you have visited, or suspect that a food business has given you food poisoning, please let us know using the complaint form below:

Back to top

Food Hygiene Rating Scheme

The national Food Hygiene Rating Scheme (FHRS) is designed to help you choose where to eat or shop for food by telling you how seriously a food business takes their food hygiene standards. For more information please see:

Back to top

Page last updated: 05 August 2022

Back to top