Coastal Office and patrol service
(previously called the Beach Office)
The Coastal Office is a front line service for water safety and public wellbeing. Staff are First Aid trained and can also deal with every eventuality from lost children to cuts bruises, environmental reconnaissance and assisting emergency services.
The office is situated on the Promenade between Worthing Pier and Worthing Lido where you can get up to date weather forecasts, tide tables and general information regarding the beach and foreshore.
The Coastal Office is open:
- 1st May to 30th September: 9am to 6pm
- 1st October to 30th April: 9am to 1pm and 2pm to 5pm
The Coastal Office provides a service along 10.5 miles from Ferring in the west to Widewater, Lancing, in the east.
The beach is made up of mainly shingle above high water and sand down to low water, with plentiful rock pools.
Proactively by Quad bike or foot during the winter months covering from Ferring to East Worthing.
From 1st May - 30th September, we extend our area of operations to 10.5 miles from Ferring to Widewater in Lancing and conditions dictating deploy our rigid inflatable patrol boat or jet ski, both vessels are capable of covering boundary to boundary in about 15 minutes during emergency conditions.
The whole operation is controlled from the Coastal Office. All staff, vessels and vehicles carry VHF radio, mobile phones and a plentiful First Aid kit. Any one of our units can contact emergency services.
The Coastal Office is Council funded and known as an additional service to the Coastguard and other emergency services. Environmental reconnaissance is a large element of our day to day which includes:
- reporting defects either marine or shore-based
- promoting our seafront
- enforcing and advising on byelaws
- promoting water and beach safety
- beach vessel management
- recovering detritus and injured marine life, and
- working to preserve and enhance our resident native flora and fauna
Our fleet consists of:
- 4.6 meter RIB with 60 hp outboard engine
- 1 x Shark rescue kayak
- 1 x PWC Seadoo GT130 Jet Ski
- 2 x ATV (all-terrain vehicle)
Our crews are fully trained to a standard that complies with the Marine Coastguard Agency's standards. The boats are also coded to the Maritime Coastguard Agency's regulations for small work/rescue boats.
The Coastal Office carries out many other services including:
- First Aid: Available during opening hours
- Water Safety talks for children with video and visual aids: This talk can be carried out in local Worthing schools. Contact the Coastal Office for details on how to book a talk
- Byelaw enforcement: The Costal Office monitor infringements regarding cycling, jet skis, power boats and do their best to keep everyone happy - see also byelaws
Need assistance? Get in touch:
Problem with this page?
Page last updated: 04 January 2021