Beach Office and patrol service
The Beach Office is a front line service for water safety and public wellbeing. Staff are First Aid trained and can also deal with every eventuality from lost children to cuts bruises and questions such as where is the best fish and chips (this is not hard as they are all good!)
The office is situated on the Promenade between Worthing Pier and Worthing Lido where you can get up to date weather forecasts, tide tables and general information regarding the beach and foreshore.
The Beach Office is open:
- 1st May to 30th September: 9am to 6pm
- 1st October to 30th April: 9am to 1pm and 2pm to 5pm
The Beach Office provide a service along 10.5 miles from Ferring in the west to Shoreham in the east. This covers Worthing and Lancing beaches up to Widewater.
The beach is made up of mainly shingle above high water and sand down to low water, with rock pools.
The beach is patrolled daily up to four times a day on land with quad bikes and six to eight times a day by our rigid inflatable patrol boats or jet ski which are capable of covering boundary to boundary in about 15 minutes.
The whole operation is controlled from the Beach Office. All staff carry mobile phones and can contact Coastguard and Police directly in an emergency.
The Beach Office is part of the Coastguard service in as much as we are known as an additional service and we are frequently called in search and rescue duties. When time allows we go around local schools, Beaver groups, Cubs and Scouts giving water safety talks as a seaside resort we feel that water safety is a must.
During the summer months between 1st May until 31st September we operate our Safety Boat service.
Our fleet consists of:
- 1 x 5.4 metre rigid inflatable powered by a 80hp, 4 stroke engine
- 1 x 4.6 metre rigid inflatable powdered by a 60hp, 4 stroke engine
- 1 x PWC (Jet Ski) with a rescue board powered by a 130hp ROTAX 4TEC engine
- 1 x Land Legend DF404 launching tractor
- 2 x 350cc 2 wheel drive Kymco ATVs
- 1 x 500cc 4 wheel drive Honda ATV.
The crews are fully trained to a standard that complies with the Marine Coastguard Agency's standards.
The boats are also fully coded to the Maritime Coastguard Agency's regulations for small work/rescue boats, and are fitted with VHF radios, GPS and Electronic Chart plotters, flares, First Aid and hand held VHF radios when they have to come ashore to deal with any incidents that may occur on land.
The boat service is headed by a Senior Safety Boat Operator who is trained as an RYA instructor and is in overall charge of the daily running of the safety boat service which covers 10.5 miles of coastline between Ferring and Widewater, Shoreham-by-Sea and up to three miles offshore.
The Beach Office carries out many other services including:
- First Aid: Available during opening hours.
- Tag for Tots: A free wristband scheme run in conjunction with the Marine Coastguard Agency to help minimise the problem of lost children - see also safety on the beach.
- Water Safety talks for children with video and visual aids: This talk can be carried out in local Worthing schools. Contact the Beach Office for details on how to book a talk.
- Byelaw enforcement: The Beach Office monitor infringements regarding cycling, jet ski and PWC, power boats and do their best to keep everyone happy - see also byelaws.
Contact Beach Office
Beach Inspectors Office,
Worthing Borough Council,