Your Internet Explorer is out of date

You are using an older version of Microsoft Internet Explorer which the Adur & Worthing Councils' website does not support.

This is an out of date web browser, and also potentially insecure. You should upgrade your browser for free to at least Internet Explorer 9 to use this website, or consider another web browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera.

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn YouTube Instagram

Adur Homes - Making alterations and improvements

Adur Homes logo (145)

Tenants of Adur Homes properties wishing to make alterations or improvements will need landlord's permission for tenant's alterations:

  • You may make alterations and improvements to council owned property subject to the following conditions :
  • No work will be carried out until you have received written permission from the council as landlord.
  • The work will be carried out by a competent tradesperson to the complete satisfaction of the council.
  • The work will be carried out at no cost to the Council.
  • If the improvement/alteration falls into the category of a qualifying repair under the 1994 Regulations for Compensation for Tenants Improvements then:
    • You understand that you must obtain from the council a Certificate of Satisfactory Completion as soon as practical after the works have been completed.
    • You can only claim for compensation, if applicable, using the required form up to 28 days before and 14 days after the termination of the tenancy and vacation of the property.
    • You can only receive compensation at the end of your tenancy if you can produce invoices/receipts for the work (covering both pans and labour) and you have been issued with a Landlord's permission letter and Certificate of Satisfactory Completion. (invoices/receipts are to be photocopied by the council and kept on file). Compensation can only apply to improvements costing between £50 and £3,000 and will only be paid according to the set formula under normal conditions. You understand that before any compensation due to you under this scheme is paid to you, any debts owed to the council will be deducted.
    • Any appropriate appliances have at least one years warranty including parts and labour and a copy of this warranty is supplied to the council.
    • The council will maintain the improvement/alteration for the notional life of the item(s).
  • In all cases, upon termination of the tenancy, the improvement/alteration is to remain - unless the written agreement of the council has been obtained for its removal.

If you wish to make an application for landlord's permission for tenant's alterations then please complete the form.

Please note this form once completed will need to be printed and returned as instructed.

Please enclose a sketch plan or diagrams (photos etc) showing existing and proposed layouts with your completed application form if applicable.

If you require any further information or wish to discuss your plans, then please contact Adur Homes.

If you would like to make improvements to the communal gardens within a block of flats then you will need to complete this form:

See also:

Note: Some alterations may also require:

Back to top