Apply for a fishing licence

If you are over the age of 13 you need a rod fishing licence to fish for salmon, trout, freshwater fish, smelt or eels with a rod and line in:

  • England (except the River Tweed)
  • Wales 
  • the Border Esk region, and its tributaries in Scotland

You can buy a rod fishing licence from your local Post Office branch, or online on the GOV.UK website:

For more information or advice please contact the Coastal Office.

See also:

Need assistance with this service?
Get in touch:

Page last updated: 22 March 2024

Back to top