Light pollution

What is light pollution?

Light pollution is artificial light that is allowed to illuminate areas not intended to be lit.

Lighting can become intrusive if it is overly bright or poorly directed, eg a security light shining into a neighbour's bedroom at night.

What can the Councils do?

Under the Clean Neighbourhood and Environment Act 2005 the nuisance provisions of the Environmental Protection Act 1990 were extended to cover light nuisance.

The Councils' Public Health & Regulation Team will investigate complaints of alleged light nuisance if your informal approaches to the owner of the problematic light have been unsuccessful.

In most cases the remedy is simply a matter of minor adjustments to the angle of the light or lowering the mounting height of the light (lights should be adjusted so that they only illuminate the surface intended) or by reducing the wattage of the bulb:

  • For domestic security lights a 150W lamp is adequate
  • For an all night porch light a 9W lamp is adequate in most situations


Street lights in Adur and Worthing are the responsibility of West Sussex County Council (WSCC), not Adur District Council or Worthing Borough Council. For further information please see our street lights webpage.

Links for further detailed information and advice

See also:

Back to top

Page last updated: 21 November 2019