Council Tax Support

If you are on a low income you may be able to get help to pay your Council Tax.

If you are claiming Universal Credit you will need to apply separately for Council Tax Support from the Council - see Universal Credit.

Who can claim

There are two types of benefit:

Main Council Tax Support

This is means-tested, based on the low income of the person responsible for paying the Council Tax.

Second Adult Rebate

This is means-tested, based on the low income of a second adult living in the property who is not:

  • the liable person's partner
  • a joint owner or joint tenant
  • a boarder, lodger or sub-tenant

There can be more than one 'second adult' in a property. The person responsible for paying the Council Tax must apply for Second Adult Rebate and supply income and savings details of the second adult(s) - see Second Adult Rebate.

How much you will get

As Council Tax Support is calculated as a means-tested discount, the amount you will receive will depend on your household's circumstances.

As a result of the COVID-19 pandemic, the government introduced an additional award of up to £150 for all working age customers for 2020/21. The guidance was issued in March 2020 - on the GOV.UK website.

The government has subsequently provided additional funding for 2021/22 but has not provided guidance. However, the Members (Councillors) of Adur & Worthing Councils have decided that discretionary awards of up to £150 should also be awarded to working age customers for 2021/22 and the policy for awards is available here:

Customers do not need to make a separate claim for a discretionary award and we will automatically make an additional award of up to £150 when entitlement to ordinary Council Tax Support is calculated.

When your claim will start

We aim to process claims within 20 days of receiving your application. You can help speed up your application by supplying all the required supporting documents.

How it will be paid

Council Tax support is credited to your Council Tax account, rather than paid directly to you.

If you need more help

You may also be able to reduce the amount of Council Tax that you have to pay by applying for a discount or an exemption.

Page last updated: 08 March 2024

Back to top