About fly-tipping:

See also:

Report fly-tipping


  • A small scale fly-tipping incident is about the amount that would fit in a car boot or a small van.
  • A large scale fly-tipping incident is about the amount that would need a large van or lorry to move it.

We will take action against anyone found to be dumping rubbish. The maximum penalty for fly tipping can be a fine of up to £50,000 and/or 6 months imprisonment if the case were to go to Court.

The law imposes a duty on householders to ensure that waste is disposed of properly and that the people we give our waste to also dispose of it in a proper and safe way.

Back to top

What is fly-tipping?

Fly-tipping (or dumped rubbish) is the illegal deposit of any waste dumped onto any land or highway not licensed to accept waste. Waste can include:

  • general household waste
  • larger domestic items, ie fridges and furniture, etc
  • garden refuse
  • commercial waste, such as builder's rubble and soil
  • clinical waste
  • tyres
  • etc ...

Such waste can occur in any quantities, in any mixture, in any location.

If you witness a fly-tipping and there is conclusive evidence then the Environment Agency will prosecute the offenders.

Back to top

What can we deal with?

We can clear fly-tipped material from public land but generally material dumped on private land becomes the responsibility of the occupier of the land (or the owner if the land is unoccupied).

If fly-tipping occurs on private land then the owner or occupier of the land is technically responsible for clearing it at their own expense. If the material is, or becomes, hazardous or a danger to public health the Councils will be able to offer advice and guidance on how the waste should be removed. The Councils may also be able to offer a clearance service at the expense of the land occupier or owner and we can provide a free no obligation quote in these circumstances.

If you have evidence that identifies a possible perpetrator the Councils can carry out further investigations on your behalf.

The Councils can also offer advice on minimising further fly-tipping problems.

Back to top

How you can help reduce fly-tipping

If you employ someone to take material away from your premises, like tree cuttings or building rubble, please ensure that they show you their waste disposal licence. This is a license issued by the local authority and ensures that the contractor disposes of any waste material in a legally satisfactory manner.

Back to top

Contact Details
Need assistance? Get in touch:

Recycling, Refuse and Waste

TelephonePlease report your issue via the form - a phone number will be given if required

Full contact detailsFull contact details (Recycling, Refuse and Waste)

Page last updated: 03 February 2021