Colonnade House Creative Hub
In 2014, the 'Commit to Culture' project was born following a successful application by Worthing Borough Council requesting Coastal Community funding to transform 'Colonnade House' into an Arts and Culture Hub.
The idea was to establish a Creative Hub right in the heart of Worthing's town centre which would provide affordable workspaces for the Creative Community and offer a central focus for business support in an environment suitable for collaborative working.
Colonnade House was identified as a possible venue for the hub; a council owned building which had been vacant for more than 12 months. Situated at the Eastern gateway to the retail heart of the town centre, Colonnade House is in a prominent position on Warwick Street in Worthing. The project aims to create up to 22 individual workspaces for local businesses, providing them with the opportunity to grow and expand, as well as creating a destination for residents and visitors.
Following a successful tender process in the summer months of 2015, Sussex Renovations were awarded the contract to re-fit the building. They started on site in October with completion due by December 2015. During the tender process, the BBC made use of the building to film some scenes for its new Autumn drama series 'Cuffs', which premiered on BBC ONE in late October 2015.
You can find out more about how the Big Lottery Fund is helping coastal communities across the UK below:
- Record funding for 36 seaside towns that will kick-start jobs and apprenticeships - on the gov.uk website
- March 2014 - Round three of Coastal Communities Funding is announced
- April 2014 - Worthing Borough Council submit stage one of their application for funding to create a Culture Hub in the town centre
- September 2014 - Worthing Borough Council were invited to continue their bid by submitting a stage two application
- October 2014 - Stage two application including budget projections, internal floor plans and operational measures submitted to the Big Lottery Fund
- February 2015 - Confirmation received that our application for funding had been approved by the Big Lottery Fund
- March 2015 - Formal approval received from DCLG with instructions to proceed
- March 2015 - Meeting on site with Building Surveyors and Engineers to agree re-fit specification for Colonnade House
- June/July 2015 - Tender documents prepared for the procurement of contractors to carry out the re-fit of the building for the project
- August/Sept 2015 - Preparation for the re-fit begins with the replacement of windows to Colonnade House and the removal of asbestos from the building
- September 2015 - Sussex Renovations appointed as contractors for the re-fit works at Colonnade House
- October 2015 - Discussions took place to develop options for the future management of the Culture Hub
- October 2015 - Re-fit works begin and Culture Hub workspaces are advertised to gain expressions of interest
- May 2016: Creative Hub Manager starts in post to get the building ready for tenants and hirers to move in
- July 2016: A partnership between Adur & Worthing Trust and Worthing Borough Council is established to manage the project
- August 2016: Applications for spaces open
- September 2016: We have our official opening and a new Creative Hub Assistant is recruited to support the day to day running of the hub
- October 2016: First tenants move in and we host our first exhibition and events
Colonnade House Creative Hub provides affordable studio spaces for people working in the creative industries, and has two professionally equipped galleries for hire for exhibitions and events.
You can find out more on our:
or contact us:
- email: email@example.com
- phone: 01903 221142
Take a look through the improvements at Colonnade House ...
Before works began:
During the works:
- Colonnade House gets a makeover - photos during improvement works (November 2015) (791KB)
- Colonnade House gets a makeover - photos during improvement works (December 2015) (637KB)
After the works:
Contact Place and Investment Team
Place and Investment Team,
Adur & Worthing Councils,
Worthing Town Hall,