Gales and high winds
Gales can cause serious damage to property and travel disruption. The Met Office issues gale warnings - please check their website for updates:
If gales or high winds are forecast, you should do the following to help protect your property and prevent injury to other people or pets:
- secure loose objects that could be blown away, such as garden furniture, bins, potted plants, ladders and ornaments
- park vehicles in a garage if possible, or clear of buildings, trees, walls and fences
- stay away from the beach, sea and river
Consider if your journey is really necessary. If you have to travel, please plan ahead and allow extra time for your journey.
- If you are driving, be aware that fallen trees may block roads or cause hazards, and speed restrictions may be in place
- Speed limits on train routes may be reduced, leading to delays and cancellations, particularly on main line and coastal routes
- If you are using public transport please check with your service provider before you start your journey
During periods of high winds and gales there may be an increased risk of flooding, or tidal and coastal flooding. For more information please see:
Need assistance with this service?
Get in touch:
Safety & Resilience Team
Page last updated: 17 August 2021