Report a noise problem

If noise from someone else is becoming a problem, approaching them to calmly discuss it first is often the best way to resolve the issue.

If the issue is with a neighbour, independent mediation can help ease any tension and help all parties find a solution.

The West Sussex Mediation Service offers free advice to all Adur and Worthing residents. For further information about the services they offer and contact details, please see:

Make a noise complaint

If the noise nuisance persists and you have been unable to resolve the issue by speaking with your neighbour, you can report the issue to us using the form below.

Noise issues you can report to us:

  • amplified noise (eg loud music or television)
  • animal noise (eg barking dogs, cockerels)
  • construction or demolition noise
  • alarms (eg from cars or property)
  • commercial or industrial noise (eg from a pub or shop)
  • prolonged DIY or car repair noise
  • equipment in the street

If the noise is not one listed above, or only happens occasionally, we are unlikely to be able to take any action.

If you are a tenant with Adur Homes or Worthing Homes, please first contact the relevant service (before you make a noise complaint using the link above):

See also:

What happens when you make a noise complaint

When we receive your noise complaint we will:

  • contact you to get further information, if required
  • ask you to keep a diary detailing when, how often and how long the noise occurs
  • make up to three visits to your home to witness the noise, or provide you with monitoring equipment to record the disturbance

If we are satisfied that the noise is classed as a statutory nuisance, a Noise Abatement Notice will be served.

If we need to pursue legal action to enforce the Noise Abatement Notice, or your neighbour chooses to appeal it, you may be required to provide evidence.

Please note: we do not currently offer a reactive out of hours noise service.

If we are unable to help

If we can't help, you can pursue Civil Action, or take your complaint to the Magistrates Court, under Section 82 of the Environmental Protection Act 1990. We recommend you contact a solicitor for advice before pursuing any further action.

Further information:

Back to top

Need assistance with this service?
Get in touch:

Public Health & Regulation ====================== NOTE: to make a noise complaint please use the form on the page (do not use the email link below)

Telephone01903 221064

EmailEmail this service (

Full contact detailsFull contact details (Public Health & Regulation ====================== NOTE: to make a noise complaint please use the form on the page (do not use the email link below))

Page last updated: 22 May 2023

Back to top