Your Internet Explorer is out of date

You are using an older version of Microsoft Internet Explorer which the Adur & Worthing Councils' website does not support.

This is an out of date web browser, and also potentially insecure. You should upgrade your browser for free to at least Internet Explorer 9 to use this website, or consider another web browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera.

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn 20x20 YouTube Instagram-20x20

Licences issued or dealt with by West Sussex County Council

A number of licences are dealt with or issued by West Sussex County Council (WSCC) these include:

Highway licences

West Sussex County Council - WSCC - small

You will require a licence if on any highway you will be placing or operating any of the following on it:

  • Building materials
  • Demonstrations and Parades
  • Dropped Kerbs (or crossovers)
  • Highway Projections
  • Hoardings or site fences
  • Mobile cranes and tower cranes
  • Mobile Elevated Work Platforms (MEWPs or Cherry Pickers)
  • Notice boards
  • Planting
  • Price List
  • Scaffolding
  • Skips
  • Street Works - West Sussex permit scheme for road works and street works
  • Use a portable traffic signal on a public road (to work on the highway)

See also on our website:


Back to top

Dropped kerbs, highway crossovers, driveways and front garden hardstandings

West Sussex County Council - WSCC - small

Dropped kerbs and highway crossovers

If you are making a new access into your garden across the footpath you will need to obtain permission to drop the kerb in the form of a licence from West Sussex County Council (WSCC). The pavement may also need strengthening, this is to protect any services buried in the ground such as gas or water pipes. You can find out more on the West Sussex County Council website.

Driveways and front garden hardstandings

Please use the following links to find out about the changes in the General Permitted Development Order, planning permission and building regulations with regards to Driveways and hardstandings:

See also

Back to top

Marriage licences / Marriage certificates

West Sussex County Council - WSCC - small

See also:

Back to top

Other licences and licensing information

West Sussex County Council - WSCC - small

For more information about licenses dealt with by West Sussex County Council use the links below or visit their website and do a search for licences or licensing:

Back to top