Entertainment licensing

Do I need a licence for entertainment?

The Licensing Unit of Adur & Worthing Councils' Public Health & Regulation Section is responsible for the licensing of a number of regulated entertainments under the Licensing Act 2003.

The following entertainments when staged in front of an audience need licensing either with a premises licence, club premises certificate or a temporary event notice. These include:

  • performance of live music
  • playing of recorded music
  • performance of a play
  • exhibition of a film
  • indoor sporting event
  • boxing or wrestling entertainment
  • performance of dance
  • or anything of a similar description

The types of venue that hold premises licences authorising such entertainment include:

  • pubs and clubs
  • restaurants and hotels
  • cinemas and theatres
  • schools
  • community centres and youth clubs
  • parks and gardens
  • selected streets and pedestrianised areas


Previously licensable entertainment that has been deregulated by the Live Music Act 2012 and Licensing Act 2003 (Descriptions of Entertainment) (Amendment) Order 2013

As a result of deregulatory changes that have amended the 2003 Act, no licence is required for a number of activities. For details see:

Back to top

Apply for a licence for entertainment to take place

If the entertainment is to be regularly provided at a commercial premise then you will require a premises licence.

If the entertainment is to be regularly provided at a private members' club, then you will require a club premises certificate.

If the entertainment is occasional in an unlicensed premise then you will require a temporary event notice.

Back to top

Need assistance with this service?
Get in touch:

Page last updated: 21 May 2024

Back to top