Apply for an animal boarding licence
You need a licence if your business provides accommodation for other people's cats or dogs. This includes:
- dog day care boarding
- home boarding
Please read the guidance carefully before submitting your application.
For a full list of criteria and to find out if this applies to you please see the relevant guidance notes below:
- Guidance notes for conditions for providing boarding for cats (1,232KB)
- Guidance notes for conditions for providing boarding in kennels for dogs (426KB)
- Guidance notes for conditions for providing home boarding for dogs (565KB)
- Guidance notes for conditions for providing day care for dogs (417KB)
To apply for a licence please complete one of the forms below:
- Application for an Animal Activity Licence - to type into (313KB)
- Application for an Animal Activity Licence - to hand write (243KB)
To find out how much a licence costs please see:
Report an unlicensed establishment
It is an offence to board animals without the appropriate licence. As part of the licence application process we inspect premises to ensure they are suitable and the necessary arrangements are in place to protect both the animals and the public.
If you are concerned that a business is operating without a licence please contact the Public Health & Regulation team.
You may also be interested in:
Need assistance with this service?
Get in touch:
Licensing Unit, Public Health & Regulation
Page last updated: 18 May 2021