Housing advice if you're experiencing domestic violence or abuse

What is domestic violence and abuse?

Domestic abuse is any incident or pattern of incidents of controlling, coercive or threatening behaviour, violence or abuse between people aged 16 or over who are, or have been, intimate partners or family members. It can happen to anyone, regardless of age, gender or sexual orientation.

Domestic abuse can include, but is not limited to:

  • physical violence
  • controlling behaviour
  • sexual abuse
  • being prevented from seeing friends and family
  • financial abuse and control
  • emotional abuse

How to get help

You can report domestic violence or abuse to the police online, in person by visiting a station or by calling 101.

Always call 999 if you or someone else is in immediate danger. If it's not safe for you to speak you can then press 55 (only on mobile phones) to be transferred to your local police force.

Support available

If you aren't safe in your home because of violence or abuse, or are concerned that someone you know is at risk, there is support available:

Other useful sites:

Housing options

If you think you need to leave your home or have been made homeless because of domestic abuse you can contact us for help and advice.

For more information please see:

Look for help safely

Your computer or mobile device stores information about the websites you visit. If there is a chance that someone might be checking your computer you can delete your browsing history, but it might be safer to use a different device. All libraries in West Sussex offer members free use of their computers.

Back to top

Page last updated: 30 December 2022

Back to top