Your Internet Explorer is out of date

You are using an older version of Microsoft Internet Explorer which the Adur & Worthing Councils' website does not support.

This is an out of date web browser, and also potentially insecure. You should upgrade your browser for free to at least Internet Explorer 9 to use this website, or consider another web browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera.

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn YouTube Instagram

I cannot pay my mortgage

See also:

If you require advice and support about debt in general or staying out of debt further information (including a leaflet that lists organisations both nationally and locally that may be able to help you) please see the Debt Advice and Support webpage.

I own my home but am worried about paying my mortgage

If you are falling behind with your mortgage payments or you can no longer pay your mortgage, you need to seek advice as soon as possible.

If you have temporary difficulties, for example due to ill health or pregnancy, you should always contact your mortgage lender straight away to speak to them about anything they can do to help.

There are options available to people who experience difficulties meeting their monthly mortgage payments and we will work with you and mortgage lender to see if you are able to stay in your current home. However, each case needs to be assessed on an individual basis based on your personal circumstances and it is important that you contact us as soon as possible for advice and not wait until you have a court order for possession or a Bailiff's Warrant.

Please contact us and your mortgage lender for advice straight away.

Back to top

I have a loan secured on my property that I cannot pay

If you are unable to pay a loan that is secured on your property, you may be at risk of repossession action which could result in the loss of your home.

It is important that you contact your lender to discuss any difficulties you may have - you need to seek advice straight away.

People often have difficulties deciding whether to keep up with their mortgage payments or keep up with their loan repayments and where people cannot afford to pay both, they may stop paying one or the other. If you find yourself in this situation, you should contact us and your lender for advice.

Back to top

My partner has left and I cannot pay my mortgage

You need to seek advice straight away from your mortgage lender if you are unable to pay your mortgage.

If you have experienced a relationship breakdown and your partner is no longer helping to pay the mortgage, or if your partner has left and you do not know where they are, please contact us. There may be help available to you to assist you to continue to pay your mortgage and we can discuss any options with you.

Back to top

Government Support for Mortgage Interest (SMI)

If you're a homeowner getting certain income related benefits you might be able to get help towards interest payments on:

  • your mortgage
  • loans you've taken out for certain repairs and improvements to your home

For details please see:

Government Mortgage Rescue Scheme

The Government Mortgage Rescue Scheme ( has come to an end you can no longer apply for the Mortgage Rescue Scheme.

If you're having difficulty paying your mortgage and are in danger of becoming homeless, you should:

Back to top

Citizens Advice - Help with mortgage costs if you're out of work

The Citizens Advice can offer help and advice - see:

Back to top