Advice for businesses: The basics

The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) is a fantastic source of information.

If you still need support, advice and/or signposting on a particular issue, then please get in touch with us

Risk assessments

We all assess risks in our daily lives, tasks such as driving, crossing a busy road or mowing the lawn involve an element of risk assessment as a means of keeping ourselves safe.

However for businesses, risk assessment needs to be formalised.

Safety policy

Employers must also have a safety policy.

The policy must be a written policy, if you employ five or more employees.

The HSE links below will help you to devise your safety policy:

How to report an accident, fatality or dangerous occurrence

A set of specific regulations commonly known as 'RIDDOR', require that certain types of serious accidents, occupational diseases and dangerous occurrences are reported. The HSE link below explains more:

Should you find yourself in a position where you need to do a RIDDOR report, then further guidance can be found here:

For incidents that must be reported:

How to report reportable incidents (which must be done online or via telephoning the incident contact centre):

Back to top

Page last updated: 13 February 2024

Back to top