Report a dangerous structure

Local Authority Building Control (LABC)

Local Authorities have a responsibility, under the Building Act 1984, to deal with any structure, public or privately owned, that is judged to be in a dangerous condition.

This is to protect the public's health and safety and particularly applies to buildings which have become unstable or dangerous either through accidental damage or lack of maintenance.

'Dangerous structure' covers not only buildings or parts of buildings (ie loose slates or tiles) but such things as garden walls, fences or hoardings. In fact, any structure which by its condition poses a potential danger to the safety of the public.

See also:

What should you do if you consider a structure to be dangerous?

During working hours:

Please report the matter directly to the Council, either in person by telephone or by email:

  • Please use the contact details at the end of this page
  • Remember - if in doubt please ring us

Outside of normal working hours:

In cases that you consider the danger to be immediate and it is outside of normal working hours please ring the Councils' emergency number:

  • Tel: 01903 821992


  • This number is for all genuine out of hours emergencies only
  • Do not use it during office hours - please use the contact details at the end of this page

Return to:

Back to top

What will we do?

We have statutory duties to deal with dangerous structures under Section 77 and 78 of The Building Act 1984. The Building Control Surveyor will visit the site usually within hours of the call, to inspect the structure and to arrange for appropriate action to be taken to remove any danger.

If the structure is considered potentially dangerous, the owner of the property will be located and requested to arrange for the structure to be removed or repaired. The area surrounding the structure is often cordoned off to ensure safety is maintained whilst the structure is being dealt with.

If the structure is considered immediately dangerous and likely to collapse, the Building Control Surveyor will arrange for the area to be cordoned off whilst a builder and other relevant experts are appointed to remove or repair the structure as soon as possible, work normally commences on the same day. The builder's costs are recoverable from the owner of the property.

Remember - if in doubt please ring us.

Return to:

Back to top

Need assistance with this service?
Get in touch:

Building Control

Telephone01903 221068 or 01903 221385 or 01903 221418

EmailEmail this service (

Full contact detailsFull contact details (Building Control)

Page last updated: 18 September 2023

Back to top