Adur and Worthing have an increasing number of cycle routes and lanes, some of which make use of our privileged location on the South Coast and the South Downs National Park.
Routes and trails in this area include:
- National Route 2 of the National Cycle Network: runs through Sussex from Worthing to Rye. Brighton to Hastings via Polegate is a part of the Downs and Weald Cycle Route. Worthing to Chichester is still under development. When complete National Route 2 will connect Dover in Kent with St Austell in Cornwall.
The National Route 2 through Adur & Worthing includes Shoreham Harbour, Shoreham-by-Sea town centre, Shoreham Beach, Widewater, Lancing and the recently opened extension in Worthing that follows the promenade using a shared route with pedestrians. The route currently ends at George V Avenue in West Worthing.
- The Downs Link (Sustrans national route 222): a 5km (3 mile) Coastal Link from Upper Beeding to Shoreham-by-Sea by the side of the River Adur and then goes on to Guildford.
- South Downs Way: a 160km (100 mile) National Trail running from Winchester in Hampshire to Eastbourne in East Sussex. Passes to the north of Adur and Worthing.
- Interactive map of cycle routes in the south-east on the Sustrans website
- Interactive map of UK cycle routes on the Sustrans website
- Useful websites for cyclists (below)
There are a number of dedicated cycle lanes in Adur and Worthing, use a cycle journey planner to create a route.
There are a number of cycle journey planners on external websites, but here are some we have found helpful:
- West Sussex County Council website - Cycle journey planner
- Sustrans Route maps website
- Google maps website
West Sussex County Council offers cycling proficiency courses for adults and children.
Their children's courses are called Bikeability.
The following West Sussex County Council website pages provide information:
- Bikeability children's holiday training courses
- Bikeability children's training for schools
- One to One and adult cycle training
The following external websites provide helpful advice and guidelines for cyclists:
- Information for cyclists on the West Sussex County Council website
- Highway Code - Rules for cyclists - on the gov.uk website
- Highway Code - Road traffic signs giving orders - on the gov.uk website
- Highway Code - Road traffic signs giving warnings - on the gov.uk website
- Highway Code - Road traffic signs giving information - on the gov.uk website
- Highway Code - Road markings - on the gov.uk website
- Arun-Adur (Worthing) Cyclists Touring Club - a section of the West Sussex CTC District Association
- Brighton Excelsior Cycling Club
- Brighton Mitre Cycling Club
- Cyclists Touring Club (CTC) (follow 'Cycle Clubs' then 'Sussex' for local cycling clubs)
- Horsham & Crawley Cyclists Touring Club
- Lewes Wanderers Cycle Club
- VC Jubilee youth development cycling club
- Worthing Excelsior Cycle Club
- ACT TravelWise
- BBC - What commuter cyclists can learn from Chris Hoy (from the Beijing Olympics)
- BBC - H2G2 - An amateur's quick guide to long-distance cycling
- BBC - Sport - Cycling - Homepage
- BBC - Sport - Cycling - Get involved
- Bicycle Association of Great Britain
- Bike Week
- Bikeability - 'cycling proficiency' for the 21st Century!
- Bognor Regis and Chichester Cyclists Touring Club
- Bricycles - Brighton, Hove and District Cycling Group
- British Cycling
- British Mountain Bike Orienteering (BMBO) - previously Trail Cyclist Association - National Governing Body for Mountain Bike Orienteering
- British Schools Cycling Association
- Cycle Nation
- Cycle proficiency training (Bikeability) - Safer Cyclist Training Scheme (on WSCC website)
- Cycling for fun
- Cycling Time Trials (CTT) - The National governing body for cycling road time trials in the UK
- Cycling to work scheme
- ECF - European Cyclists' Federation
- Forty Plus Cycling Club
- GPS Cycle and Walking Routes - including a section on routes in Sussex
- Highway code: rules for cyclists - see above
- Horsham Cycling
- Lifecycle UK
- M's Cycle Hire - Cycle hire, accessories, training, events, repairs and servicing
- Re~Cycle - Bicycle Aid for Africa
- Road Safety (on the Department for Transport website)
- South Coast Bikes
- Special needs cycling (search set up on Google)
- Sustrans (sustainable transport)
- Tour of Britain (previously the Milk race)
- Tour de France
- Tour of Ireland
- TravelWise - now ACT TravelWise
- Worthing Cycle Campaign
- West Sussex County Council - Walking, Cycling and Horse Riding