Your Internet Explorer is out of date

You are using an older version of Microsoft Internet Explorer which the Adur & Worthing Councils' website does not support.

This is an out of date web browser, and also potentially insecure. You should upgrade your browser for free to at least Internet Explorer 9 to use this website, or consider another web browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera.

Upgrade Internet Explorer from
RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube

Do I need planning permission?

Do I need planning permission?

If you do not know if you need planning permission, please see the Planning Portal's guidance and interactive houses to determine whether the work you want to carry out requires planning permission.

If you need permission:

If you have found that you do need planning permission then please then move on to submit a planning application.

You may also require building consent.

See also 'permitted development' below.

Back to top

Permitted development

Note: Legislation allowing larger single-storey rear extensions to be built under permitted development rules has been laid before Parliament and came into force on 30th May 2013. The new size limits will be subject to a neighbour consultation scheme, work is to be completed by 30th May 2016. See neighbour consultation scheme guidance notes on the Planning Portal website

You can make certain types of minor changes to your house without needing to apply for planning permission. These are called 'permitted development rights'. They derive from a general planning permission granted not by the local authority but by Parliament. Bear in mind that the permitted development rights which apply to many common projects for houses do not apply to flats, maisonettes or other buildings.

For more information please see:

Back to top

Pre-application advice

Householder enquiries

For householder enquiries where planning permission is required, we encourage you to complete the householder enquiry form below with as much information as possible so that we can give you clear and detailed advice. Alternatively, it is possible to speak to a member of the Development Management department between 10:00am and 4pm although except for the most straightforward queries, it is likely that we will require further information in writing. Enquiries can also be e-mailed to us using our contact details (to the right).

Non-householder enquiries

Adur & Worthing Councils do not currently charge for pre-application advice. In the first instance, enquiries should be sent in writing to the Development Management section using the contact details (to the right), providing as much information as possible. If a meeting is subsequently necessary, then the officer will make contact to arrange an appointment, otherwise a reply will be given in writing.

Back to top

Use Class / Use Classes - change of use

The Town and Country Planning (Use Classes) Order 1987 (as amended) puts uses of land and buildings into various categories known as 'Use Classes'.

Some planning applications may involve a 'change of use'.

To find out more please see:

Back to top