Bulky waste collection
Have you considered:
Bulky household waste consists of non-general day-to-day consumable household items such as:
- furniture (tables, chairs, old beds, etc.)
- furnishings (carpets, curtains, etc.)
- white goods (cookers, fridges, freezers, etc.)
- electrical items (televisions, irons, microwaves, etc.)
- decorating items (paint tins, old tiles, wallpaper, etc.)
No sack must weigh more than 25 kilograms (approximately 55lbs.)
- We cannot collect waste from within a property without pre-arrangement.
- Similarly, restricted or difficult access may make collection impossible.
- Ideally, items for collection should be left outside on the day of collection in an easily accessible location.
- A risk assessment may be necessary before the collection is agreed.
- For some materials such as building rubble, hardcore, loose chalk and soil, large branches and roots or unbagged garden waste or any other miscellaneous items please contact us for advice on disposal.
- For bagged green waste please see the Garden Waste information.
- Hazardous waste such as asbestos, plasterboard and chemicals cannot be collected using this service. For further guidance on how to dispose of these items please refer to the Hazardous Waste information.
Adur & Worthing Councils provide a bulky household waste collection service, at a charge dependant on the quantity to be removed:
Prices with effect from 1st April 2016:
- Category 1 - up to 3 items of furniture or 9 sacks = £40.00
- Category 2 - up to 6 items of furniture or 18 sacks = £65.00
- Category 3 - up to 12 items of furniture or 36 sacks = £100.00
Please note that:
- Prices are subject to an annual increase in April, prices correct as at 01-04-2016
- Charges may vary depending on the accessibility of the items. For example, a three piece suite will be more expensive to collect from a block of flats ten stories up than from a bungalow
- Any proposed collection that does not fit category 1 criteria will need to be assessed by appointment and a quotation will be provided
- No concessions are made for people receiving benefits
- If the collection crew have to enter your property to collect your waste, the Councils are unable to accept any responsibility for any damage caused during the operation
An alternative is to take items that cannot be donated to charity to your local tip where you can dispose of things free of charge - see:
Requesting a bulky waste collection: If you would like to arrange a bulky waste collection please contact us on 01903 851729. We cannot currently take online requests for this service.
Bulky household waste collections are made in:
- Adur District: on Tuesdays or Thursdays
- Worthing Borough: on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays
You will be contacted to confirm the actual collection date.
Contact Recycling, Refuse and Waste
Recycling, Refuse and Waste
Adur & Worthing Council Services,
9 Commerce Way,
Lancing Business Park,