Proposed Submission Joint Area Action Plan
Please note: This page is about the publication of the Joint Area Action Plan for Shoreham Harbour. Please do not use this consultation to comment on specific planning applications.
If you wish to comment on the planning application submitted by Southern Housing Group for Free Wharf, please click here
Adur District Council, Brighton & Hove City Council and West Sussex County Council have prepared for publication the Proposed Submission Shoreham Harbour Joint Area Action Plan (JAAP) in accordance with Regulation 19 of the Town and Country Planning (Local Planning) (England) Regulations 2012. The publication period will run for six weeks from 10 November 2017 to 22nd December 2017 (12 midnight).
The JAAP covers the Shoreham Harbour Regeneration Area, as identified in the Policy DA8 of the Brighton & Hove City Plan Part One (2016) and Policy 8 of the Adur Local Plan (2017). These plans commit the local authorities to producing a Joint Area Action Plan for Shoreham Harbour.
The Shoreham Harbour Joint Area Action Plan is a local plan setting out the local authorities' strategy for the regeneration of Shoreham Harbour and surrounding areas. The plan contains:
- A long term vision, strategic objectives and strategy for the Shoreham Harbour Regeneration Area
- Area-wide policies relating to each strategic objective
- Proposals for seven character areas, including four allocations for development of new housing and employment generating floorspace
- An outline of how the Shoreham Harbour Regeneration Project will be delivered, monitored and implemented.
These policies and principles will shape the future of the area and will be used in the consideration of planning applications. The local authorities intend to submit the JAAP to the Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government following publication. The JAAP can be viewed below:
A lower resolution version is also available:
The Policies Maps for Adur and Brighton & Hove will be amended to reflect the proposals in the Shoreham Harbour JAAP:
Adur Policies Map:
- Adur Policies Map 2017 (Proposed Submission Shoreham Harbour Joint Area Action Plan) (6,564KB)
- Adur Policies Map 2017 (Inset Map 4 - Shoreham Harbour Regeneration Area) (65,649KB)
- Schedule of Amendments to the Adur Policies Map (115KB)
Brighton & Hove Policies Map:
- Brighton & Hove Policies Map 2017 (Proposed Submission Shoreham Harbour Joint Area Action Plan) (15,334KB)
- Brighton & Hove Policies Map 2017 (Inset Map - Shoreham Harbour Regeneration Area) (7,225KB)
- Schedule of Amendments to the Brighton & Hove Polices Map (365KB)
The Sustainability Appraisal is a legal requirement for local plans, and also meets the requirement for an Equalities Impact Assessment:
- Sustainability Appraisal of the Proposed Submission Shoreham Harbour Joint Area Action Plan (3,143KB)
- Non-Technical Summary of the Sustainability Appraisal of the Proposed Submission Shoreham Harbour Joint Area Action Plan (842KB)
The Consultation Statement explains the role of consultation in developing the JAAP:
Supporting evidence studies which have informed the JAAP can be viewed using the link below:
The Duty to Cooperate Statement explains how the councils and other statutory bodies have cooperated in developing the plan:
Paper copies of the Proposed Submission Shoreham Harbour Joint Area Action Plan, the Policies Maps, response forms and supporting documents are available at the following locations for inspection:
- Brighton & Hove City Council, Bartholomew House, Bartholomew Square, BN1 1JE (Monday to Friday - 8:45am to 4:30pm)
- Jubilee Library, Jubilee Street, Brighton, BN1 1GE (Monday, Tuesday and Thursday - 10:00am to 7:00pm | Wednesday, Friday and Saturday - 10:00am to 5:00pm | Sunday - 11am to 5:00pm)
- West Sussex County Council, County Hall, West Street, Chichester, PO19 1RQ (Monday to Thursday - 8:30 to 5:00pm | Friday - 8:30 to 4:30)
- Brighton & Hove City Council, Hove Town Hall, Norton Road, BN3 3BQ (Monday to Friday - 10:00 am to 4:30pm)
- Hove Library, 182-186 Church Road, Hove, BN3 2EG (Monday, Tuesday and Thursday to Saturday - 10:00am to 5:00pm | Wednesday - 10:00am to 7:00pm)
- Brighton & Hove City Council, Portslade Town Hall, Victoria Road, Portslade, BN41 1YF (Monday to Thursday - 9am to 1pm and 2pm to 5pm)
- Portslade Library, 223 Old Shoreham Road, Portslade, BN41 1XR (Monday and Thursday - 9:00am to 7:00pm | Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday - 9:00am to 5:00pm | Saturday - 9:30am to 5:00pm | Sunday - 11:00am to 5:00pm)
- Adur District Council, Shoreham Centre, Pond Road, Shoreham-by-Sea, BN43 5WU (Monday to Friday - 9:00am to 5:00pm)
- Shoreham Library, St Mary's Road, Shoreham-by-Sea, BN43 5ZA (Monday - 10:00am to 7:00pm | Tuesday to Thursday - 10:00am to 6:00pm | Friday - 10:00am to 5:00pm | Saturday - 10:00am to 4:00pm
- Southwick Library, Southdown Road, Southwick, BN42 4FT (Monday to Friday - 10:00am to 5:00pm | Saturday 10:00am to 2:00pm)
- Shoreham Port, Nautilus House, 90-100 Albion St, BN42 4ED (Monday to Friday - 8:30am to 4:30pm)
- Adur District Council, Portland House, Richmond Rd, Worthing, BN11 1HS (Monday to Friday - 9:00am to 5:00pm)
The publication period will run for six weeks from 10th November 2017 to 22nd December 2017 (12 midnight).
The councils are inviting representations on the legal compliance and/or soundness of the plan. Please see the documents below for more information.
Representations at this stage should only be made in relation to the legal compliance and/or soundness of the plan. These terms are explained in the guidance note. Please read this, before submitting your representation.
Your representation must be provided in writing by completing the response form:
Details of the publication of the plan are set out in the Notice of Publication and Statement of Representation Procedures:
Representations should be provided in writing by completing the response form:
Submit your response form using the following methods:
or by post:
Shoreham Harbour Regeneration,
c/o Adur District Council,
Worthing Town Hall,
Note: Representations on the Proposed Submission Shoreham Harbour Joint Area Action Plan must be submitted between 12 noon on 10th November 2017 and 12 midnight on 22nd December 2017. Late submissions cannot be accepted.
Sending your representation electronically will help us to save paper and time.
Your response must contain your name and address. Anonymous comments will not be accepted. Please note that comments cannot be treated as confidential. Copies of all comments will be made available for the public to view (including respondent's name) but will not include any personal contact details or signatures. All representations received within the statutory consultation period will be submitted to the Secretary of State and considered as part of a public examination by an independent Planning Inspector.
The councils have previously consulted on two versions of the plan. These are available to view by using the link below:
Contact Shoreham Harbour Regeneration
Any of the following telephone numbers can be used to contact the Shoreham Harbour Regeneration Team 01273 263177 or 263310 or 263243
Shoreham Harbour Regeneration,
Adur & Worthing Councils,
44 Richmond Road,