Shoreham Harbour Joint Area Action Plan - Proposed Main Modifications
The Shoreham Harbour Joint Area Action Plan is a strategy for the regeneration of Shoreham Harbour and surrounding areas.
Adur District Council, Brighton & Hove City Council and West Sussex County Council consulted on the Proposed Submission Shoreham Harbour Joint Area Action Plan in November and December 2017. The councils submitted the plan to the Secretary of State for Housing, Communities and Local Government for independent examination on 31st May 2018.
The Secretary of State appointed Planning Inspector Anne Napier BA (Hons) MRTPI MIEMA CEnv to conduct the examination to determine whether the Joint Area Action Plan is sound. The examination hearing sessions took place on 19th and 20th September 2018.
Public Consultation on Proposed Main Modifications
- Notice of Consultation on Proposed Modifications to the Shoreham Harbour Joint Area Action Plan (309KB)
Comments are invited on the Proposed Main Modifications to the Shoreham Harbour Joint Area Action Plan. Main Modifications are those which are considered necessary to make the plan sound and legally compliant. The tests for soundness are as follows:
- Positively prepared: the plan should be prepared based on a strategy which seeks to meet objectively assessed development and infrastructure requirements, including unmet requirements from neighbouring authorities where it is reasonable to do so and consistent with achieving sustainable development;
- Justified: the plan should be the most appropriate strategy, when considered against the reasonable alternatives, based on proportionate evidence;
- Effective: the plan should be deliverable over its period and based on effective joint working on cross-boundary strategic priorities; and
- Consistent with national policy: the plan should enable the delivery of sustainable development in accordance with the policies in the Framework
The Proposed Main Modifications are proposed without prejudice to the Inspector's final conclusion on the Joint Area Action Plan which will take account of all representations submitted in response to this consultation.
The public consultation runs from 21st January 2019 to 5pm on 4th March 2019.
The consultation is open to anyone and is limited to the main modifications only. Any duly made representations received during the consultation period will be provided to the Inspector who will consider whether these modifications should be made in order to make the plan sound.
All proposed main modifications are listed with their reference number in the Schedule of Proposed Main Modifications.
- Main modifications are shown in bold text
- New text is underlined
- Deleted text is struck through
The monitoring framework has been revised and is now included within the Plan itself, as well as within the Sustainability Appraisal.
The Main Modifications are intended to address issues of legal compliance and/or soundness and representations should focus on the effect of the modification(s) on the Plan's soundness or legal compliance.
The councils are also inviting comments on the accompanying Sustainability Appraisal.
Representations should be made in writing, and can be emailed or posted to the address below, by 5pm on 4th March 2019. Only representations received within this period will be considered.
The following documents are published for consultation:
- Schedule of Proposed Main Modifications to the Shoreham Harbour Joint Area Action Plan (January 2019) (958KB)
- Sustainability Appraisal of the Shoreham Harbour Joint Area Action Plan (Proposed Main Modifications) (January 2019) (2,145KB)
- Non-Technical Summary of the Sustainability Appraisal of the JAAP (Proposed Main Modifications) (January 2019) (808KB)
The councils have prepared a Schedule of Additional Modifications. These are minor changes to the Joint Area Action Plan which do not affect soundness. These are for information only and do not form part of the consultation:
- Schedule of Additional Modifications to the Shoreham Harbour Joint Area Action Plan (January 2019) (4,871KB)
The councils have also published a Consultation Statement to accompany the Schedule of Proposed Modifications:
- Consultation Statement Shoreham Harbour Joint Area Action Plan (Proposed Main Modifications) (January 2019) (1,294KB)
Hard copies of the consultation documents are available at the following locations for viewing during opening hours:
- Bartholomew House, Bartholomew Square, Brighton, BN1 1JE
- Jubilee Library, Jubilee Street, Brighton, BN1 1GE
- County Hall, West Street, Chichester, PO19 1RQ
- Hove Town Hall, Norton Road, Hove, BN3 3BQ
- Hove Library, 182-186 Church Road, Hove, BN3 2EG
- Portslade Library, 223 Old Shoreham Road, Portslade, BN41 1XR
- Shoreham Centre, Pond Road, Shoreham-by-Sea, BN43 5WU
- Shoreham Library, St Mary's Road, Shoreham-by-Sea, BN43 5ZA
- Southwick Library, Southdown Road, Southwick, BN42 4FT
- Portland House, Richmond Road, Worthing, BN11 1HS
How to respond
Representations should be provided in writing by completing and submitting the response form using the following methods:
- Consultation response form - Proposed Submission Shoreham Harbour Joint Area Action Plan (to type into) (177KB)
- Email address for representations: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Post to: Shoreham Harbour Regeneration, Adur District Council, Town Hall, Chapel Road, Worthing, BN11 1BR
Representations must be received by 5pm on 4th March 2019.
Please make sure tell us which main modification each of your comments relates to by referencing the relevant number from the Schedule of Main Modifications.
Representations at this stage should only be made in relation to the legal compliance and soundness of the Proposed Main Modifications to the Local Plan. Representations should specify in what respect(s) the Proposed Main Modification is considered to be unsound, and what change(s) would need to be made to make it sound. These terms are explained in a guidance note below:
Anonymous comments or comments received outside the consultation dates will not be accepted. Please note that comments cannot be treated as confidential. Copies of all comments will be made available for the public to view (including respondent's name) but will not include any personal contact details or signatures.
All representations received within the statutory consultation period will be submitted to the Inspector examining the Shoreham Harbour Joint Area Action Plan.
For further information please contact: email@example.com
Or, telephone: 01273 263000 and ask for the Shoreham Harbour Regeneration Team
Contact Shoreham Harbour Regeneration
Any of the following telephone numbers can be used to contact the Shoreham Harbour Regeneration Team 01273 263177 or 263310 or 263243
Shoreham Harbour Regeneration,
Adur & Worthing Councils,
44 Richmond Road,