Your Internet Explorer is out of date

You are using an older version of Microsoft Internet Explorer which the Adur & Worthing Councils' website does not support.

This is an out of date web browser, and also potentially insecure. You should upgrade your browser for free to at least Internet Explorer 9 to use this website, or consider another web browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera.

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn YouTube Instagram

Flooding and heavy rain

In the event of severe weather please refer to the live updates on the Environment Agency and Met Office websites in relevant sections below.
You can also follow our latest updates on Follow updates on TwitterTwitter and Follow updates on FacebookFacebook, and look out for service updates on our homepage.
Other useful information is also included on our webpage below.

See also:

Other advice:

Contact us in an emergency:

On other websites:

You might also be interested in:


Only a small proportion of properties in the Adur and Worthing area may be at risk from flooding in certain conditions

Report flooding - including in an emergency

There may also be possible disruption to public transport and travel and/or road closures (see below).

See also:

Back to top

Current flood warnings

Flood warningAlmost 900,000 properties are at risk from one or more forms of flooding in the South East. And climate change is increasing that risk. Floods can happen anywhere at anytime, caused by rising ground water levels, burst water drains, hillside run-off from sudden rain as well as flooding from rivers and the sea.

A live interactive flood warning map shows the locations where Flood Alerts, Flood Warnings or Severe Flood Warnings are in force:

Flood warnings are also available:

The Environment Agency flood widget below shows currently active flood warnings and alerts in the South East of England, clicking on an icon will take you to their website for full details (the link will open in a new tab/window):

Note: The Environment Agency's 'South East' Region covers: the UK's southern counties of Hampshire, Surrey, Sussex and Kent; all thirty three London Boroughs; and the counties west and north of London including: Berkshire, Hertfordshire, Oxfordshire, Gloucestershire and Buckinghamshire; and the River Thames catchment area.

See also:

Back to top

Check if you are in a flood risk area

Fortunately, we know which homes and businesses are at risk of flooding from rivers and seas in England and Wales. You can find out if you are at risk of flooding by:

or by phoning the:

  • Environment Agency Floodline on 0345 988 1188

If you find out you are at risk, be warned and be prepared.

Back to top

Be warned - sign up for free flood warnings

You can sign up for free flood warnings via the Environment Agency which will warn you by telephone, mobile, email, text message (SMS) or fax, whichever you prefer:

Back to top

Be prepared

It is important that you learn how to prepare for and be safe in a flood. It could save your life. We recommend you download and complete a personal flood plan:

For further information on how to be prepared, read the:

or you can contact the Council's Emergency Planning officer.

There may also be possible disruption to public transport and travel and/or road closures (see below).

Back to top

During a flood

UK Power Networks - Floods and Electricity factsheet: Advice to customers about how what happens if electricity supply needs to be disconnected due to flooding.

Useful advice on external websites: The following websites offer advice and guidance on what to do during a flood and how to stay safe:

There may also be possible disruption to public transport and travel and/or road closures (see below).

Back to top

After a flood

If you've been affected by flooding you can find advice on what to do on the following websites:

Back to top


General information:

Domestic properties

In the event of likely flooding, the Council does not make sandbags available.

Members of the public have a responsibility to protect their own properties. If you consider you are at risk of flooding, then sandbags should be purchased from local building suppliers.

Commercial properties

The protection of commercial properties is the responsibility of the owners or occupiers, who should undertake their own risk assessment and make provision for the supply and positioning of sandbags.

The Council will respond to requests from the Emergency Services to protect strategic properties until the arrival and support of the owners or occupiers.

See also: Flooding (above)

Back to top

Public transport and travel - possible disruption and road closures

Strong winds, gales and floods may also cause disruption to travel, so please leave extra time for any journeys.

High winds may mean reducing train speeds to 50mph, which could lead to delays and/or cancellations, particularly on main line and coastal routes.

Be aware of the possibility of fallen trees which may block roads or cause hazards.

Please make sure you check the various public transport websites for updates, see:

See also:

Back to top