Regional Planning and
West Sussex County Council planning
A range of planning services are run by West Sussex County Council (WSCC). These are detailed on the:
You may also be interested in:
- Minerals and Waste Policy - on WSCC website
- Structure Plan - on WSCC website
- Transport Plan (Urban Transport Plan / Local Transport Plan) - on WSCC website
In October 2012 the local planning authorities (LPAs) in Coastal West Sussex (Arun, Adur, Chichester and Worthing), together with the South Downs National Park Authority, Brighton & Hove City Council and Lewes District Council (CWS&GB) agreed to establish a new Strategic Planning Board to facilitate joint work on strategic planning priorities. The Board's remit is to:
- identify and manage spatial planning issues that impact on more than one local planning area within CWS&GB; and
- support better integration and alignment of strategic spatial and investment priorities in CWS&GB, ensuring that there is a clear and defined route through the statutory local planning process, where necessary
In 2015 the area covered by the Board expanded to include both Mid Sussex and Horsham Districts, reflecting the functional strategic relationship these areas have with Coastal West Sussex and Greater Brighton.
The Local Strategic Statement for Coastal West Sussex and Greater Brighton (LSS), is the main vehicle for taking forward the Board's work on behalf of the LPAs. This sets out the long term Strategic Objectives and the Spatial Priorities for delivering these in the short to medium term. These priorities reflect the local planning authorities' clear aspirations for long term sustainable growth to meet the existing and future needs of the residents and workforce in the area. It provides an overlay for local plans and business plans of various bodies; establishes a clear set of priorities for funding opportunities and will also be used for duty to co-operate purposes.
In parallel with the Local Strategic Statement, a Memorandum of Understanding has been agreed which establishes a framework for co-operation with respect to strategic planning and development issues. The first LSS, which set out the objectives for the area (2013-2031), was agreed by the constituent authorities in 2013. In 2015 the LSS was updated (LSS2 - below) to reflect the change in strategic area covered and to take account of local plan progress and implementation of the Greater Brighton City Deal which was at an early stage when the LSS was initially prepared. The updated Strategic Objectives cover the period 2015 to 2031 and the Spatial Priorities cover the period 2015-2025.
- Local Strategic Statement - Coastal West Sussex and Greater Brighton (749KB)
- Local Strategic Statement 2 - 2016 (1,338KB)
Contact Planning Policy
Adur & Worthing Councils,
44 Richmond Road,