Your Internet Explorer is out of date

You are using an older version of Microsoft Internet Explorer which the Adur & Worthing Councils' website does not support.

This is an out of date web browser, and also potentially insecure. You should upgrade your browser for free to at least Internet Explorer 9 to use this website, or consider another web browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera.

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn YouTube Instagram

Grass verges and parking

Problems caused by grass verge parking

Driving over, or parking on, a grass verge is a widespread issue in Adur and Worthing. It often damages the verge, which not only spoils the appearance of the street, but involves the Councils in unnecessary additional expense on making good the damage.

Parking on verges and margins can also obstruct pedestrians from using the footway and be hazardous to other road users, especially if vehicles obstruct entrances, or park on a bends or junctions.

Back to top

Report a problem

You can report a problem online via the West Sussex County Council (WSCC) website:

Back to top

Who is responsible for verges?

Grass verges form part of the Public Highway. The Highway Authority (West Sussex County Council) has a statutory duty to maintain and keep them in a basic safe and accessible condition. The county council are also responsible for cutting the grass.

The local Councils (Adur & Worthing) are responsible for removing litter and other items from verges. They also have the power to make byelaws prohibiting parking on the verge.

Back to top

The Law

The Councils are aware that parking is an issue in some communities and is keen to work with residents to resolve issues rather than use its legal powers.

It is an offence, however, to park on a grass verge in Adur & Worthing and where there is a sign on the verge stating 'No Parking' under the byelaw for the good rule and government of the district of Adur and borough of Worthing made under section 235 of the Local Government Act 1972.

It is also an offence under the Highways Act (1980) to place anything on the highway that causes damage, including cars, on the grass verge.

Back to top

Dropped kerbs, highway crossovers, driveways and front garden hardstandings

Find out how to apply for a dropped kerb, highway crossover, driveway or front garden hardstanding.

Back to top