Your Internet Explorer is out of date

You are using an older version of Microsoft Internet Explorer which the Adur & Worthing Councils' website does not support.

This is an out of date web browser, and also potentially insecure. You should upgrade your browser for free to at least Internet Explorer 9 to use this website, or consider another web browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera.

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn 20x20 YouTube Instagram-20x20
Menu

Adur council strikes deal for new council homes

Released: Tuesday, 23 July 2019

Plans to create some of Adur's first council properties for more than 30 years have taken a big step forward after a deal was struck to create dozens of homes for those on the housing waiting list.

Private developers received permission to create 50 apartments on local authority land in Albion Street, Southwick, in November 2018. As part of the agreement, 15 of these homes would have been made available for social rent.

But, now Adur District Council has stepped in and taken over the whole scheme to ensure that all 50 units will be available to individuals and families on the housing waiting list.

With the site cleared last year, work on securing contractors to build the new development is underway. The aim is for construction to start next spring.

Councillor Neil Parkin, Leader of Adur District Council, said:

“With social accommodation at a premium across our area, we are well aware of the pressing need to provide good-quality accommodation for those on our housing waiting list.”

“A major obstacle has been the government's borrowing cap which prevented us from raising the money needed to oversee developments directly. I'm delighted that after many years of lobbying to lift this, ministers have finally listened.”

“It's now up to us to use this freedom wisely, with Albion Street the first of a number of new developments we are looking to bring forward for the wider benefit of local residents.”

Details of the deal to buy the detailed plans and consent off Albion Street Developments was announced at a meeting of Full Council this week (18th July 2019).

The plans will see vacant houses formerly used as emergency hostel accommodation replaced by two contemporary buildings of between four and six storeys in height containing 44 flats.

A further six flats will be created within existing semi-detached buildings which are located on the west of the site. 50 car parking spaces will also be provided.

Elsewhere, the Council is also pushing on with plans to provide a further 15 units on Cecil Norris House in Ravens Road, Shoreham.

Southwick-based Pilbeam Construction has recently been awarded the contract for the redevelopment scheme which will see a new high-quality environmentally-friendly contemporary block replace the vacant building currently on the site.

Demolition work for the former sheltered accommodation block is due to start by the end of this month.

Councillor Carson Albury, Adur District Council's Executive Member for Customer Services, which includes housing, said:

“These are the first of a number of proposals that we are bringing forward to create new homes across our area.”

“Even though we remain restricted in terms of land and finance, it shows we are serious about our commitment to create new affordable housing for people across our communities. I look forward with interest to seeing spades in the ground very soon.”

Image: Artist's impression of the Albion Street development

PR18-204 - Artist's impression of the Albion Street development

Photo: Cllr Carson Albury is given a tour of the Albion Street site in Southwick

PR19-010 - Cllr Carson Albury is given a tour of the Albion Street site in Southwick

Photo: Adur District Council are creating the first new council homes in 20 years at the site in Albion Street

PR19-010 - Adur District Council are creating the first new council homes in 20 years at the site in Albion Street

(PR19-114)

Back to top