Licensing - Coronavirus update

Due to the Coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic members of the licensing unit are not always present in the office at the moment. The team is working but often remotely in accordance the Government's advice.

The Licensing Authority has put in place plans to minimise disruption to businesses and being a statutory function the authority will continue to provide a service though the methods by which it is delivered may change during this period.

Please Note: We appreciate that these are extraordinary times but licences should be kept up to date and where necessary renewed if at all possible. Please do not allow your licence to expire, if you are not able to follow the advice below please contact the licensing unit and we will do all we can to assist you.

Please Note: That the situation is constantly changing and some of the information here may be subject to change. We will do our best to keep you informed but we appreciate your understanding and patience at this time. 

For holders of Taxi Licences see also: Driver and Vehicle Licences Coronavirus update

Business Support: The government has introduced a range of financial measures to help businesses deal with the Coronavirus (COVID-19) and the Council has compiled a brief guide to the support that is available for businesses and the contact details of the institutions and organisations that can help you.

Business Advice: The Councils' Public Health and Regulation Team has issued some useful advice directed at food businesses and non-food businesses regarding: Food Safety; Health & Safety; infection control and Coronavirus (COVID-19).

Stress, Anxiety and Mental Wellbeing: In the current Coronavirus (COVID-19) lockdown many of us are experiencing stresses and concerns never experienced before. If issues are becoming overwhelming there's no shame in reaching out for help if you are feeling stressed, depressed or experiencing suicidal thoughts in some form. If you’re not sure of who to reach out to in your community there is an organisation based in Brighton that can provide help. The organisation is called 'Grassroots' and their 'Find Help Now' pages can guide you in finding a national or local support service that is right for you.

Adur and Worthing COVID-19 Key Update

6th January 2021

Adur and Worthing move to Tier 5: Stay at Home

Adur and Worthing along with the rest of the country has moved into Covid Tier 5 - Full National Lockdown.

Living & working in Tier 5 means you must stay at home. People in England can only go out for essential reasons. HM Government has stated that the single most important action we can all take is to stay at home to protect the NHS and save lives.

Amendments to The Health Protection (Coronavirus, Restrictions) (All Tiers) (England) Regulations 2020 came into force on the 6th January, they impose closures and restrictions upon a number of businesses (also known as National Lockdown 3).

As A&W Councils fully analysis the new legislation and is offered advice by Government this page may be subject to change.

The new Tier 5 lockdown means you must stay at home and only leave for the following specific reasons:

  • To go to work or provide voluntary or charitable services, if you cannot reasonably do so from home - this includes key workers and those in the construction industry.
  • To shop for food and/or medicine for yourself or a vulnerable person.
  • To provide care or help to a vulnerable person.
  • To exercise – see below for specific rules.
  • To seek medical care or an appointment or avoid injury, illness or risk of harm, including domestic abuse.
  • To meet your support bubble or childcare bubble where necessary, but only if you are legally permitted to form one.
  • To attend education or childcare if you are eligible (children of key workers or vulnerable children)
  • Outdoor exercise with one person from another household. This should be limited to once a day and you should stay in your local area. You can meet a personal trainer outside.
  • Socialising outside is allowed only with people from your household or bubble. Stay 2 metres from anyone not in your household.
  • Sporting venues including pools, gyms, tennis courts and golf courses will close, but playgrounds will remain open.

The Tier 5 restrictions require that if not already shut, all non-essential retail, hospitality and personal care services (such as hairdressers and salons) must shut immediately and must remain closed.

Essential retailers including supermarkets, pharmacies, garden centres, and builders’ merchants, are permitted to stay open.

Businesses which must close:

To reduce social contact, the regulations require non-essential businesses to close and impose restrictions on how some businesses provide goods and services. The full list of businesses required to close can be found in the guidance on closing certain businesses and venues in England, but includes:

  • Non-essential retail, such as clothing and homeware stores, vehicle showrooms (other than for rental), betting shops, tailors, tobacco and vape shops, electronic goods and mobile phone shops, auction houses (except for auctions of livestock or agricultural equipment) and market stalls selling non-essential goods. These venues can continue to be able to operate click-and-collect (where goods are pre-ordered and collected off the premises) and delivery services.
  • Hospitality venues such as cafes, restaurants, pubs, bars and social clubs; with the exception of providing food and non-alcoholic drinks for takeaway (until 11pm), click-and-collect and drive-through. All food and drink (including alcohol) can continue to be provided by delivery.
  • Accommodation such as hotels, hostels, guest houses and campsites, except for specific circumstances, such as where these act as someone’s main residence, where the person cannot return home, for providing accommodation or support to the homeless, or where it is essential to stay there for work purposes.
  • Leisure and sports facilities such as leisure centres and gyms, swimming pools, sports courts, fitness and dance studios, riding arenas at riding centres, climbing walls, and golf courses.
  • Entertainment venues such as theatres, concert halls, cinemas, museums and galleries, casinos, amusement arcades, bingo halls, bowling alleys, skating rinks, go-karting venues, indoor play and soft play centres and areas (including inflatable parks and trampolining centres), circuses, fairgrounds, funfairs, water parks and theme parks.
  • Animal attractions (such as zoos, safari parks, aquariums, and wildlife reserves)
  • Indoor attractions at venues such as botanical gardens, heritage homes and landmarks must also close, though outdoor grounds of these premises can stay open for outdoor exercise.
  • Personal care facilities such as hair, beauty, tanning and nail salons. Tattoo parlours, spas, massage parlours; body and skin piercing services must also close. These services should not be provided in other people’s homes.
  • Community centres and halls must close except for a limited number of exempt activities, as set out below. Libraries can also remain open to provide access to IT and digital services - for example for people who do not have it at home - and for click-and-collect services.

Some of these businesses and places will also be permitted to be open for a small number of exempt activities. A full list of exemptions can be found in the guidance on closing certain businesses and venues in England, but includes:

  • Education and training - for schools to use sports, leisure and community facilities where that is part of their normal provision.
  • Childcare purposes and supervised activities for those children eligible to attend.
  • Hosting blood donation sessions and food banks.
  • To provide medical treatment.
  • For elite sports persons to train and compete (in indoor and outdoor sports facilities), and professional dancers and choreographers to work (in fitness and dance studios)
  • For training and rehearsal without an audience (in theatres and concert halls)
  • For the purposes of film and TV filming.

Businesses and venues which can remain open

Other businesses and venues are permitted to stay open, following COVID-19 secure guidelines. Businesses providing essential goods and services can stay open. The full list of these businesses can be found in the guidance on closing certain businesses and venues in England, but includes:

  • Essential retail such as food shops, supermarkets, pharmacies, garden centres, building merchants and suppliers of building products and off-licences.
  • Market stalls selling essential retail may also stay open.
  • Businesses providing repair services may also stay open, where they primarily offer repair services.
  • Petrol stations, automatic (but not manual) car washes, vehicle repair and MOT services, bicycle shops, and taxi and vehicle hire businesses.
  • Banks, building societies, post offices, short-term loan providers and money transfer businesses.
  • Funeral directors
  • Laundrettes and dry cleaners.
  • Medical and dental services.
  • Vets and retailers of products and food for the upkeep and welfare of animals.
  • Animal rescue centres, boarding facilities and animal groomers (may continue to be used for animal welfare, rather than aesthetic purposes)
  • Agricultural supplies shops
  • Mobility and disability support shops
  • Storage and distribution facilities
  • Car parks, public toilets and motorway service areas
  • Outdoor playgrounds
  • Outdoor parts of botanical gardens and heritage sites for exercise
  • Places of worship
  • Crematoriums and burial grounds

Tier 5 financial support

Businesses affected by the Tier restrictions and businesses required to close will be eligible for grants and various financial support packages. A&W Councils are overseeing the distribution of a range of government grants to support businesses impacted by COVID, which includes further funding in relation to the ongoing Tier restrictions. Details regarding the various schemes can be found at:  

The Councils are overseeing the distribution of a range of government grants to support businesses impacted by COVID, which includes further funding in relation to the ongoing Tier restrictions. 

Any business can apply to the Additional Restrictions Grant - Round 2 at:

This is a discretionary pot, as part of the West Sussex wide scheme. However, we encourage businesses to review the guidance and, if deemed applicable, to submit an application. Applications for this grant close at midnight on 31st January 2021. Further rounds may be available.

Any queries about this grant or other impacts of COVID can be submitted to: 

If you would like ongoing updates regarding funding and other related news please sign up to our business newsletter -


Licence Applications

Wherever possible please make your application & any payment through the Council's on line facilities. If you cannot use the on line facilities then please scan or photograph your completed application form and accompanying documents and email to: or if relating to taxi licensing to: 

If none of the above options are suitable you can still post by hand or send by post your documentation - place the completed forms in an envelope and mark to the attention of:

The Public Health & Regulation Licensing Unit, 44 Portland House, Richmond Road, Worthing, BN11 1HS

On receipt and processing of your application you will be telephoned to make any required payment over the phone.

Credit and Debit cards must not be scanned and sent to the licensing office, an officer will be in touch to process a payment over the phone; however; there may be a delay in this part of the process but this will not affect the application date.

Applications will be processed and your licence & any receipt will be sent to you by email and a copy posted at a later date if requested by the applicant.

* Please note documents posted to the Licensing Unit will be scanned and stored securely until they can be returned.

Please Note: Whilst members of the Licensing Unit are not always present in the office the team are working remotely and will be able to deal with any queries or problems you have. Please contact, or for taxi queries leaving your telephone number and a brief outline of your issue and a member of the team will contact you as soon as possible or within 5 working days.

Advice for Licence Holders and Applicants

Adur & Worthing were placed in Tier 5 Coronavirus Restrictions on 6 January 2021 : Stay at Home

The government has had in place restrictions of one type or another for a number of businesses since March 2020 in order to reduce the spread of the virus. To date compliance has generally been excellent but businesses that breach regulations will be subject to prohibition notices, potentially unlimited fines and the loss of any licences they hold.

HM Government's advice to tackle the Coronavirus (COVID‑19) Pandemic is: 

  • Stay at Home
  • Stay Alert
  • Work from home if you can
  • Limit contact with other people as prescribed by the local Tier level
  • Keep your distance if you have to go out (2 metres apart where possible)
  • Wash your hands regularly
  • Do not leave home if you or anyone in your household has symptoms

Covid advice, support, guidance & regulation

The government has put in place measures to support businesses affected by the virus. There is advice on making your business Covid Secure. A&W Councils Public Health & Regulation team are happy to provide advice and support around COVID-19. If you have any questions or in need of specific advice do contact the team via:

Breaches to Regulations

Sussex Police has responsibility for enforcing rules regarding gatherings in open spaces. You can report these by calling 101.

West Sussex Trading Standards are responsible for enforcing of the closure of non-essential businesses. You can report an incident via WSCC Trading Standards on line portal  

Taxi Marshals

For those working in Worthing, you will have seen that we have brought back the Taxi Marshals over the Winter period to help focus on COVID safe practices, using specific COVID funding from the Government. However, with the introduction of Tier 5 lockdown restrictions this service will be suspended until the lockdown is relaxed and the evening economy reopens. 

General information

As a helpful reminder, the government’s most recent advice remains:

  • Wash hands - keep washing your hands regularly
  • Cover face - wear a face covering in enclosed spaces
  • Make space - stay at least 2 metres apart (or 1 metre with precautions)
  • Get tested if you display symptoms (high temperature / new continuous cough / loss or change to your taste or smell) by visiting or call 119.

A range of support is also available locally for those in need:

West Sussex County Council Community Hub (COVID 19) - is available everyday focusing on providing help to anyone that is vulnerable that needs help with food, utilities bills or heating. This is open each day from 8am to 8pm. Call 033 022 27980

Employment advice and support - we have good information and guidance on everything relating to work, including work support, dealing with money, wider wellbeing issues and the opportunity to speak to an employment advisor. These resources are online: 

Self-Isolation Payments - £500 self-isolation payments may be available to anyone who has been told to self-isolate by NHS Test and Trace, either because they've tested positive or are the close contact of a positive case. To apply visit: 

Business restrictions & support published by HM Government can be found at:

Coronavirus Tier 5 Guidance has been published by HM Government and can be found at:


  • Licensing Act, Gambling Act, Taxi Licensing matters that require it are being conducted by Committee and Sub-Committee hearings held digitally online.
  • Complaints and compliance issues are being dealt with as normal.

Contacting the team

  • In the first instance, please use email as a means of contacting us. Our email addresses are listed above and these will be monitored throughout the day and we will respond as soon as we are able
  • If you do not have access to email, please call our office on 01273 263331 or for taxis 01273 263144. It may be that we will not be able to take your call at the time, so please be prepared to leave a message with your name, phone number and the reason for your call
  • We will endeavour to return any calls and respond to emails within 5 working days

Cafes & Takeaways and home deliveries of food/drink

Under the Tier 5 regulations Food & Drink can only be provided for takeaway. Takeaways must close to the public at 22:00hrs each day. Deliveries may continue after this time in line with the premises authorised hours. Alcohol cannot be supplied at any time except through pre-ordering and delivery. 

The government has, through the Business & Planning Act 2020, put in place emergency provisions relaxing planning and licensing legislation for a limited period to allow bars, restaurants and other venues to run food delivery services. It also allows businesses licensed to sell alcohol for consumption on the premises to sell takeaway and offer deliveries of alcohol. The legislation also allows the use of outside areas for tables & chairs through a temporary pavement licence

However, please note that deliveries of hot food and drinks between 23:00hrs and 05:00hrs will require a LA 2003 premises licence which authorises late night refreshment. There are no time restrictions on any type on the delivery of cold soft drinks and cold food. Alcohol cannot be included in your deliveries unless you have a premises licence which specifically authorises alcohol sales.

If you change your business type to provide takeaways or deliveries of food, please note that you must still comply with your premises licence timings and conditions, and ensure you have adequate age verification procedures in place for deliveries that include alcohol. If you are unsure about your licence conditions, please contact us and we will be happy to discuss.

Businesses must comply with the latest area Coronavirus Tier regulations & restrictions   

Cancelling an event with a temporary events notice (TEN)

The legislation does not allow us to amend a temporary event notice once it has been processed, nor can we issue a refund for any cancelled event. You can however withdraw the TEN so that it does not count towards your totals for the year. Please email us at to do this.

Premises licence annual fees - Licensing Act 2003 & Gambling Act 2005

The current position is that these should still be paid either by post, telephone or online (guidance can be found on your invoice) and we are still legally required to suspend licences where payment is not made.

Cancelling a Charitable Street Collection

If you have a permit allowing you to hold a street collection and wish to cancel the event please contact and we will be able to arrange a date later in the year for your collection.

Animal Licensing

In April 2020 the Canine and Feline Sector Group issued the following guidance which has been agreed by Defra. Entitled Covid-19 Advice for Animal Related Businesses and Local Authorities in England.

Guidance for Applicants

Temporary Event Notices (TEN)

Coronavirus update: Please be advised that in keeping with government guidance during the ongoing COVID-19 outbreak, we would encourage customers to only submit notices for temporary events which might be considered essential during this period. To promote public health & safety during this period, events applied for which might be considered non-essential or would encourage unnecessary social contact or might breach Covid-19 regulations are highly likely to be objected to by the Police and the Councils' Environmental Health Team.

Please use the existing on line process for this if you can:

If you cannot use the online process, you can submit the form on our temporary events webpage by email to to do this, ensuring you copy this to Sussex Police - Licensing at We will then contact you for a card payment over the phone.

Please take care to complete the application form in full. Any incomplete or illegible applications will be rejected and will not be processed.

Premises Licences - Gambling Act 2005 and Licensing Act 2003

Applications can be made via our Premises and Personal Licences page, or by email to If the application is made via email we will then contact you for a card payment over the phone.

Personal Licences - Licensing Act 2003

Applications for personal licences must be made via email as they are not able to be applied for online. Please send the application form, declaration from, training certificate, basic DBS disclosure (issued within 1 calendar month) and 2 photos (one of which must be endorsed) to The best way to do this is to:

  • Photograph each page of the forms but please ensure it is clear and legible or we will not be able to process it.
  • When we are ready to process your application, we will call you to take payment over the phone.
  • When we have a completed correct application and payment, we will process the application. We may have to issue the licence/permit by email - so please ensure you provide an email address on your application. Licences will be sent out via post once normal service has resumed in the office.

Please Note: We have published separate information for holders of Taxi Licences

I hope this will assist you during these difficult times and if you have any questions then do not hesitate to contact:

Back to top