Your Internet Explorer is out of date

You are using an older version of Microsoft Internet Explorer which the Adur & Worthing Councils' website does not support.

This is an out of date web browser, and also potentially insecure. You should upgrade your browser for free to at least Internet Explorer 9 to use this website, or consider another web browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera.

RSS Facebook Twitter LinkedIn 20x20 YouTube

What to do if you have inherited an empty property

What to do if you have inherited an empty property

Probate and Estate Administration:

  • If a next of kin died with a Will in place this Will name the executor of the Will, the person who should deal with the distribution of the estate.
  • If a relative has died without a Will in place, this is call 'dying intestate'; and their next of kin is legally required to 'administer the estate'.

This means they must follow the 'rules of intestacy' and manage all the activities involved in closing down the deceased's estate. This would include:

  • Getting valuations on any properties
  • Collection and distribution of the estate
  • Paying any taxes from the estate if necessary
  • Legal and administrative activities

Back to top


Obtaining probate

The purpose of probate is simple, to pay debts the deceased owes and to transfer any assets to the beneficiaries of the Will or next of kin.

In some circumstances the Executor of the Will or the Administrator of the Estate must apply for probate. This means they are applying for permission to deal with the deceased estate.

Probate is required when:

  • When a property is held in the sole name of the deceased or as tenants in common
  • When the deceased held financial assets worth £5,000 or more with banks or building societies
  • When banks or building societies holding the assets require a grant of probate to release the funds
  • When the deceased benefited from a trust during their lives.

Who can apply for a Grant of Representation?

If the deceased has not made a Will a grant can be made by the next of kin, usually in the following order:

  • Husband, wife or civil partner
  • Sons and daughters
  • Parents
  • Brothers and sisters
  • More distant relatives including cousins, aunts and uncles

There are three types of Grant of Representation:

  • Probate (when the deceased person left a valid Will and an executor is acting)
  • Letters of administration with will (when a person has left a valid Will but no executor is acting), or
  • Letters of administration (usually when there is no valid Will).

Probate can be a very long and time consuming process and there are professional legal organisations that can act on your behalf and complete this process for you for a fee.

There are websites that explain the process and others that can offer advice and support:

Probate scams

Please be aware that there are currently several Probate scams in operation via the Internet. Many of these will inform the recipient that they are the beneficiary of a substantial legacy but will ask for fees and/or taxes in advance of sending more information or the release of funds.

These will always be fraudulent and on no account should you make any payment or transfer any funds. You can obtain further information and advice concerning such scams via the links below. You will also find information about reporting such activity to the police, as the police may be able to close down the e-mail accounts concerned.


Probate Office

The nearest Probate Office for the Adur and Worthing area is:

Back to top