Your Internet Explorer is out of date

You are using an older version of Microsoft Internet Explorer which the Adur & Worthing Councils' website does not support.

This is an out of date web browser, and also potentially insecure. You should upgrade your browser for free to at least Internet Explorer 9 to use this website, or consider another web browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera.

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn YouTube Instagram

I have split up with my partner

I cannot pay my rent

If your partner has left you and you cannot pay your rent, you need to seek advice. In some cases, you may be able to claim Housing Benefit to help you to pay your rent even if the tenancy or mortgage is in the sole name of your partner.

Back to top

I have been asked to leave my home

We can advise you about any rights you may have to remain in your accommodation or any alternative housing options that may be available to you. It is not advisable to move out of a property until you have arranged somewhere else to live that will be suitable for you.

The Council does not have to provide accommodation for you on the basis that you no longer want to stay in your property or if your partner has asked you to leave.

However, if you are experiencing domestic abuse and it is not safe for you to remain in your accommodation, you should contact us straight away.

Back to top

My partner is violent or abusive to me (domestic violence)

If you do not feel safe to remain in your property, please contact the National Domestic Violence Helpline, see:

If you are female and need help or support, you can refer to the following:

If you are male and need help or support, you can refer the following:

You can also report abuse or crimes to Sussex Police:

Back to top