Coronavirus (COVID-19): Business Advice

The following information has been developed by our Public Health & Regulation Department to support local businesses (food and non-food) to operate safely during coronavirus (COVID-19). It covers your legal requirements as a business, food safety, Health & Safety and infection control, with links to the latest guidance from the government:

Updated rules on the wearing of face coverings in England

From Tuesday 30th November 2021 face coverings will be mandatory in shops and shopping centres and on public transport unless individuals are medically exempt from wearing one. This is enforceable by law.

Businesses have a legal obligation to display face covering signage. To help you adapt your premises, we include a number of links to free printable Face Covering Signage below:

Pubs and restaurants will be exempt from these changes, as are places of worship.

The Government has issued the following Guidance:

The public and staff in public facing areas will be required to wear face coverings from 10th December 2021. For a full list of where you must wear a face covering by law please see:

Please be aware that guidance regarding other measures and areas may be updated or changed at short notice.

For latest updates, visit:

Further advice can be obtained from A&W Covid Information Officers:

Back to top

Workplace Safety

Following the government's gradual easing of COVID-19 lockdown measures, new guidance has been produced for businesses to ensure workplaces are safe for employees and customers.

If your business operates more than one type of workplace (eg an office, a factory and a fleet of vehicles) you will need to read all of the guides that are relevant to you:


Back to top

Checklists and Risk Assessment Templates for Businesses

To help you assess your ability to implement measures to ensure employee and public safety during this pandemic, the following checklists for businesses are available:

Checklist for all businesses:

Risk assessment checklist template:

If you would like help with completing these checklists, please:

Back to top

Collection of Contact Details Regulations

Premises and venues across England should have a system in place to record contact details of their customers, visitors and staff in the latest move to break the chains of transmission of coronavirus.

This is suggested for enhanced contact tracing and will support local teams to respond to clusters and outbreaks in their area.

If your business or venue falls into one of the sectors or categories below it is still recommended that you maintain a customer log and continue to display an NHS QR code poster at your venue. This applies if you provide:

  • hospitality services, including pubs, bars, restaurants and cafés
  • tourism and leisure services, including hotels, museums, cinemas and amusement arcades
  • close contact services, including hairdressers, barbershops and tailors (including mobile close contact businesses)
  • community centres, libraries and village halls

You should make sure that all your staff have been notified of this change.

Exemptions include children under the age of 16 and people entering the venue for drop off / takeaway only.

It is still recommended to:

  • Display an official NHS QR code poster
  • Request that all customers and visitors scan the NHS QR code or provide their contact details
  • Keep a record of all staff including shift times
  • Provide an alternative method to collect contact details which doesn't require ownership of a smartphone (advance bookings where contact details are provided can serve as the source of this information)
  • Keep information securely for 21 days before destroying it, and provide it to NHS Test & Trace if requested

The government is taking these steps because as COVID-19 prevalence drops, enhanced contact tracing will become increasingly important in enabling local teams to respond to outbreaks quickly.

How is the information used

NHS Test and Trace will use contact tracing information to identify venues where other individuals present may have been exposed to COVID-19 and need to be contacted.

If this happens, your venue will be contacted to request your logbook and you will be given detailed instructions about how to do this at the time, as well as further guidance and support about what this means for your business. Your venue will not automatically need to close, and your venue will also not be named when we contact individuals.

Individuals will be contacted with a 'warn and inform' message - this is not an instruction to self-isolate; it simply reminds individuals to follow guidance and look out for symptoms.

Do not be concerned if you are not asked to share your log-books - this simply means that we have not identified multiple positive cases linked to your venue. It is still essential to maintain log-books or NHS Test and Trace cannot contain outbreaks where they do occur.

Further guidance on the requirements can be found here:

The Information Commissioner's Office (ICO) has produced guidance to ensure you are GDPR compliant when collecting and storing contact details:

QR Codes for test and trace

Businesses are also encouraged to continue displaying QR codes for customers wishing to check in using the NHS COVID-19 app, or to continue collecting customer contact details to support NHS Test and Trace, however this will no longer be a legal requirement.

To generate a unique QR code to work with the app please see:

They will then need to be clearly displayed (either on a screen or printed off as a poster) so that visitors can use the app to scan the code when they arrive.

  • Printing: For those without printing facilities, this is available in a number of community facilities, such as libraries, as well as a range of commercial outlets.

See also:

Full details on which premises this applies to see:

For information on the NHS COVID-19 app, including how to download it and a series of FAQs, visit:

Back to top


As part of a government drive to encourage everyone who does not have coronavirus symptoms to get tested twice a week, home testing is being made available to everyone in England. Kits can be ordered to your home or to a local site

Find out more about asymptomatic testing:

Back to top

Staying Safe: Legal duty to self-isolate, face coverings and meeting people

Legal duty to self-isolate:

The government has issued a new legal duty to self-isolate:

Face coverings:

The government has issued guidance and advice on face coverings:

Meeting with others safely (social distancing):

The government has issued guidance and advice on meeting with others safely (social distancing):

Back to top

Beauty Salons, Spas and Close Contact Services

Close contact services are a higher risk activity so extra precautions are needed.

Close contact services

Salons, spas and beauty salons

Back to top

Food / Food Business specific advice

See: Video on how to wash your hands - on YouTube

Reopening and adapting your food business during COVID-19

The Food Standards Agency (FSA) offer to following advice and guidance:

Please also refer to this guidance for food businesses about allergen management:

See also:

Takeaways and food delivery

Food processing and production settings

Food banks and community provision guidance for food banks, charities and volunteer organisations dealing with food

This guidance provides food safety information and guidance for individuals or groups wishing to prepare meals at home for their community:

Chartered Institute of Environmental Health (CIEH)

The CIEH have produced a range of resources relating to coronavirus (COVID‑19):

Drainage and cleaning advice for food businesses

Southern Water has produced some useful guidance for food businesses about how to clean and maintain kitchen equipment during a period of closure, and what you need to think about and do before you re-open:

Back to top

Health & Safety: Legionella, vehicles and PPE

Legionella guidance

As a result of businesses having to close and water systems being shut down during coronavirus (COVID-19), there is an increased risk of Legionella bacteria being present when the water system is switched back on.

Businesses that could be affected include hotels, B&Bs, leisure centres, gyms, clubs, spas and hairdressers.

Covid-19 could also increase the risk of waterborne infections, including Legionnaires' disease, in nursing and care homes.

These guides set out the requirements for Legionella control to avoid the potential for Legionnaires' disease:


Back to top

Care Homes

The Government has announced new legislation that requires all care home workers and any other professionals entering a care home to provide evidence via the NHS COVID Pass service of receiving both doses of an approved COVID-19 vaccine (unless they are exempt under the regulations). This will apply from 11th November 2021 and will be mandated under the Health and Social Care Act 2008 (Covid Regulations 2021):

Specific guidance has been developed for care homes, with information about how to work safely during coronavirus (COVID-19):

The government has given guidance on visiting care homes during coronavirus:

Back to top

Social Care and Education

Educational and childcare settings

Back to top

Sport, Leisure, Recreation and Play

Back to top

Places of worship and weddings, receptions and funerals

Place of worship:

Wedding and civil partnership ceremonies, receptions and celebrations:

Back to top

Supporting our Town Centres

Adur & Worthing Councils are working with local businesses and partners, such as Sussex Police, Worthing TCI and traders' organisations to ensure our town centres can continue to open safely to the public.

The emphasis is on individual businesses to make sure their premises are safe places for shoppers and workers.

The following information many also be of use:

Tables and chairs

Public houses, restaurants, cafes and other food establishments can now apply to the Councils for a licence to place tables and chairs outside their premises for customers to sit to consume food and drink.

To support businesses bounce back from COVID the annual fee has been waived.

We strongly recommend that businesses secure their licence as your Public Liability insurance may not cover an outside area on the highway/pavement on which you have placed tables & chairs, but are not licensed to utilise.

For more details visit:

Alcohol sales

Changes to the Licensing Act 2003 came into force at the end of July allow licensed premises such as public houses, bars, cafes and restaurants to serve alcohol to customers seated in these designated outside areas.

Anyone looking for further information or guidance can contact the Councils' licensing team on:

Outdoor trading

Adur & Worthing Councils have put in place temporary road closures in Montague Place, Portland Road and Montague Street west specifically to assist the small businesses in these areas and allow limited outside trading in accordance with social distancing guidelines.

The cafes, restaurants and bars in these areas are advised to consider how best they can use this opportunity to reopen successfully. To get advice on reopening a licensed premises and/or the use of the space outside your licensed premises contact the Councils' Licensing Unit on:

Pavement licences guidance

Back to top

How to contact Public Health & Regulation

We now have Covid Information Officers to help provide information, advice, and guidance to our businesses.

Contact details are below for each area:

If you need extra support or have any queries, please do not hesitate to contact Public Health & Regulation.

You can send us an email at:

You can also give us a ring on 01903 221064.

Back to top

Back to top