Making your business greener
Adur & Worthing Councils are aware how difficult it can be for the local business community to address issues such as climate change, reducing landfill and carbon footprint. Economic Development has been working with our Commercial Waste Collection Service to design a local solution to address these issues, without the need for businesses to invest their valuable time, resources or raise their bottom line.
In 2011 Adur & Worthing Councils commenced a pilot scheme with Rabbit Group, which aimed to reduce the amount of commercial waste being sent to landfill and to increase the amount that is recycled, at no additional cost or inconvenience to their business customers. This pilot scheme has been a resounding success with the first year seeing almost 2,000 tonnes of commercial waste being used to create electricity, at Rabbit Group's energy from waste plant on Lancing Business Park. Adur & Worthing Councils have further developed this scheme and are proud to announce that approximately 98% of all non–clinical commercial waste, that the Councils collect, is now used to create electricity locally and no-longer goes to landfill.
If you would more information on how your company can become part of this innovative green energy scheme please see how to get a commercial waste quote.
Adur & Worthing Councils work in partnership with the Sustainable Business Partnership, a Community Interest Company (CIC) that helps businesses save money through energy, waste and water efficiency. Not-for-profit, they offer several services subsidised or free of charge:
- Free Environmental helpline & recyclers list - for queries from renewable energy and Feed-in-Tariffs to grant and funding programmes to local recycling services and waste legislation
See: Helpline & Local Recyclers List on the Sustainable Business website
- Training courses and seminars - to help organisations improve the resource efficiency of their premises, or those in the environmental sector develop their business and explore new industry opportunities
- Sustainable Business Network - linking like-minded businesses interested in improving their environmental and social sustainability. Free to join with members benefiting from monthly email updates, including the latest local sustainability news and developments, a place in the online directory and invitations to network events.
For more information, as well as local best practice case studies, please visit the:
or to contact them see:
A five year programme led by the University of Brighton that aims to help develop a local low-carbon economy in Sussex. Free and subsidised services on offer to businesses include:
- 1 to 1 Business Support - including bespoke growth plans, strategic support and specialist coaching
- Innovation, Research & Development - funding for R&D, innovation and knowledge projects, innovation clinics, specialist expertise to support product / service development
- Business events and opportunities - learning and networking events, Industry Insight Tours and tendering seminars and 1 to 1 support, delivered by the Sustainable Business Partnership CIC
See also: Sustainable Business Partnership CIC website
- Skills and training - student placements and apprenticeships, funding for graduate interns, training course development to address gaps in the green skills sector
For more information please visit the:
Contact Place & Investment
Place & Investment,
Adur & Worthing Councils,
44 Richmond Road,