Your Internet Explorer is out of date

You are using an older version of Microsoft Internet Explorer which the Adur & Worthing Councils' website does not support.

This is an out of date web browser, and also potentially insecure. You should upgrade your browser for free to at least Internet Explorer 9 to use this website, or consider another web browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera.

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn 20x20 YouTube Instagram-20x20

How long does the claim last?

Once a claim has been started it will continue until entitlement to benefit stops. However, customers must advise the Revenues & Benefits Service about any change in their circumstances that may affect their entitlement to benefit.

For more information on what to do if you have a change in circumstances please read the change of details section.

Another claim form may need to be completed for some changes in circumstances, for example:

  • you move address
  • your partner moves in, or you and your partner separate
  • your entitlement to Income Support, income-based Jobseeker's Allowance, income-related Employment & Support Allowance or Guaranteed Pension Credit comes to an end

This is because information about the customer's new circumstances is required before benefit entitlement can be re-assessed.

Ending a claim

The Councils will bring a claim for Housing Benefit and/or Council Tax Support to an end where:

  • the customer passes away
  • your liability to pay rent or Council Tax ends
  • you move out of either the Adur or Worthing area
  • you ask us to cancel your claim
  • for Housing Benefit only, the Department for Work & Pensions asks us to cancel the claim because the customer has claimed Universal Credit

However, by completing a new claim form and providing information and documents about your new circumstances a new claim can be made straight away.


During the life of the claim there may be an 'intervention' initiated by the Councils. This may take the form of:

  • a visit to the customer by a Council officer; or
  • a written request for confirmation of the customer's current circumstances; or
  • a telephone call to confirm the customer's current details

This 'intervention' must be completed and any information or documentation that is requested must be supplied. If this doesn't happen, the claim may be suspended or cancelled.

Back to top