Adur District Local Plan 1996
This webpage contains the adopted Local Plan (Adur District Local Plan 1996). For news on the next Local Plan please see Adur Local Plan - Emerging.
The Adur District Local Plan was adopted in 1996. It is a district wide plan and covers a ten year period from 1996 to 2006. The Adur Planning Policy Team are currently producing a suite of documents as part of the Local Development Framework which will eventually replace the Local Plan. Due to the age of the Local Plan not all the policies within it are still relevant. Those which have been saved form part of the development plan for the District. A full list of these policies can be found in the Annual Monitoring Report - Saved Policies section.
Assessment of the saved policies which considers their consistency with the National Planning Policy Framework has been undertaken. Please note that this is a guide.
The existing Local Plan can be viewed below:
Policies that are not included in the saved policies list are no longer in use and should be ignored.
- Contents (83KB)
- Forward (55KB)
- Chapter 1 - About this Local Plan (390KB)
- Chapter 2 - The Context of the Local Plan (227KB)
- Chapter 3 - The Aim of the Local Plan and its Strategy (553KB)
- Chapter 4 - Protection of Resources, Energy Conservation & Minimising Pollution (503KB)
- Chapter 5 - The Countryside (514KB)
- Chapter 6 - Nature Conservation (462KB)
- Chapter 7 - The Build Environment (699KB)
- Chapter 8 - Transport (646KB)
- Chapter 9 - Housing (649KB)
- Chapter 10 - Business, Industry and Warehousing (1,106KB)
- Chapter 11 - Shopping (592KB)
- Chapter 12 - Community Facilities (242KB)
- Chapter 13 - Recreation, Leisure and Tourism (925KB)
- Appendix 1 - Glossary of Terms (74KB)
- Appendix 2 - Schedule of Documents Referred To (94KB)
- Appendix 3 - Statement of Public Consultation (64KB)
- Appendix 4 - General Policies of the West Sussex Structure Plan 1993 (70KB)
- Appendix 5 - Public Car Parks (66KB)
- Appendix 6 - Provision of Housing (452KB)
- Five Year Land Supply
- Housing Need and Provision of Social Housing
- Additional Site Information: Housing
- Appendix 7 (1,253KB)
- Provision of Business, Industry and Warehousing Floor Space
- Additional Site Information: Business, Industry and Warehousing
- Appendix 8 - Additional Site Information, Shopping (353KB)
- Appendix 9 - Recreation Areas, Allotments and Open Space Assessment.pdf (93KB)
- Appendix 10 - Schedule of Local Plan Policies and Development Proposals (67KB)
For more information about the Adur District Local Plan please contact the Planning Policy Team.
Withdrawn Core Strategy
A Core Strategy was previously produced by Adur District Council and submitted to the Secretary of State in January 2007. However, having considered the nature of the representations received, the Inspector raised a number of concerns which he wished to address at an exploratory meeting. A Full Meeting of the Council on 11th September 2007 recommended that the Core Strategy be withdrawn and this decision was agreed by the Secretary of State.
A draft Site Allocations document was produced in March 2007 and made available for consultation. The document identified key sites for development in the district to meet a variety of needs including housing, employment, retail, leisure and community facilities. This document was not progressed due to the withdrawal of the Core Strategy. However, the responses received via the consultation have been used to inform the emerging Core Strategy.
For more information on the current Adur Local Plan please see Adur Local Plan - Emerging.
Contact Planning Policy
Adur & Worthing Councils,
44 Richmond Road,