Consultation on Shoreham Harbour
Please note: The consultation on the Draft Joint Area Action Plan has closed. Representations are now being considered.
An important part of the Shoreham Harbour Regeneration Project is consultation with the community. Key stakeholders include local residents and community groups, businesses and landowners.
The Consultation Statement sets out our approach to consultation:
If you would like to be added to the consultation database and receive regular updates and newsletters please email your name and contact details to:
Public Consultation on Draft Joint Area Action Plan
Between 17th February and 25th April 2014 ten weeks of public consultation were held on the Draft Joint Area Action Plan (JAAP):
185 written representations were received with many indicating support for the regeneration vision and proposals. The team also spoke with many local people, businesses and community groups at the public exhibitions.
Key issues raised include:
- Support for improvements to access and connections for cyclists and pedestrians.
- Support for improvements to the public realm, built environment and beach areas.
- Support for improvements to flood defences.
- Impacts on transport infrastructure and increased congestion.
- Impacts on social and community infrastructure such as schools and health centres.
- Impacts on existing businesses in the area
- The need to protect future port capacity.
- The need for sufficient green infrastructure and open space.
- The need for better facilities for boat-users and need for a public slipway.
Note: Representations were also received in relation to a planning application for a Lidl food store on the north side of Brighton Road. These have been shared with Development Management and will be considered as part of the planning application process.
A copy of all the representations is available in the document below:
A summary report of the main issues raised and how these issues have been addressed will be made available on this page in due course
Each chapter of the Draft JAAP can also be downloaded separately:
- Draft Shoreham Harbour JAAP - Cover, contents and list of figures (526KB)
- Draft Shoreham Harbour JAAP - Chapter 1 - Introduction and Context (3,076KB)
- Draft Shoreham Harbour JAAP - Chapter 2 - Harbour Vision and Area Proposals (5,537KB)
- Draft Shoreham Harbour JAAP - Chapter 3 - Harbour-wide Policies (536KB)
- Draft Shoreham Harbour JAAP - Chapter 4 - Delivery and Implementation (224KB)
A leaflet summarising the key proposals in the JAAP is also available:
A summary document of proposals and policies has also been produced:
A Draft Transport Strategy has been prepared to support the JAAP. This sets out a package of measures that will need to be put in place to support new development at the harbour.
- Draft Shoreham Harbour Transport Strategy (2,800KB)
- Draft Shoreham Harbour Transport Strategy - Appendices (1,344KB)
A Sustainability Appraisal (including Strategic Environmental Assessment) of the JAAP has been prepared in accordance with Section 39 (2) of the Planning and Compulsory Purchase Act 2004. This aims to ensure the JAAP takes account of environmental, social and economic issues. This document is also subject to consultation between 17th February and 25th April 2014:
A non-technical summary of the Draft Sustainability Appraisal is also available:
Drop-in exhibitions were held at a number of locations during the consultation period. Please view the flyer for details:
We are also carried out a Seafront Survey about the use of Portslade and Southwick beaches.
What will you do with my comments?
All the comments will be reviewed and considered by officers and will be made available to view following the consultation period. Organisation names will be published; individual names and contact details will be anonymised. All the feedback received will be used to refine the document through to the next stage.
What happens after the consultation?
Depending on the issues raised, a further round of consultation may be required. Following this, the 'Pre-Submission' version of the JAAP will be published for final comment (likely to be in 2015) before the JAAP is submitted to the Secretary of State to be considered by the Inspector at an independent Public Examination.
How can I find out more information?
Visit the Shoreham Harbour Regeneration website for more information. If you have any further questions please:
- email us at email@example.com
- or speak to a member of the team on 01273 263177or 01273 263243
Any of the following telephone numbers can be used to contact the Shoreham Harbour Regeneration Team 01273 263177 or 263310 or 263243
Shoreham Harbour Regeneration,
Adur & Worthing Councils,
44 Richmond Road,